Carolina Crown 2017

It was the flugelhorn solo, and I remember it well.  I agree with Cowtown.  I have always thought that unfortunate occurrence rattled them.  Cowtown described the delay and frantic but failed effort to fix the problem quite accurately.

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

No, it's not high concept stuff.  It's also more than likely the meeting will be paused or take a coffee break while the mike issue is sorted out.  Kinda hard to do that during a drum corps performance, don't you think?

Not really, there were moments they could have handed off a mic to her, just give her a hand held wireless

why can't corps keep a standby wireless handheld on a stand up front? if it bugs out they can walk to that play in it or grab it

I played in live bands for years that used a lot of effects and electronics, we always had a plan B and employed people to wait in the wings to help us out. It wasn’t seamless but we figured it out and practiced for it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Mic worked perfectly hours earlier at rehearsal and I doubt they changed a thing for the performance. So I don't know what to say. 

I think the mic may not have been the problem, but interference with the signal to the mic.  It may have been due to the huge crowd and number of cell phones.  That said, I'm not sure why other corps didn't have the same problem, unless frequencies were different, or movement and distance were different.  

But I still think there should have been a backup plan.  Having a wired mic on the sideline, maybe, though it would have changed the  visual.  If nothing else, switch to a prerecording and lip synch it?

• Like 1

BTW, skevinp, I see 11 references in here, did I miss any?

i think it is an enigma that a wicked phantasm could cause star crossed men from mars to morph into massive rabbits, run in a jagged line and eat their own tails

10 minutes ago, runyancm said:

BTW, skevinp, I see 11 references in here, did I miss any?

i think it is an enigma that a wicked phantasm could cause star crossed men from mars to morph into massive rabbits, run in a jagged line and eat their own tails

It's this year's shows by last year's top 12 ( I did it at the beginning of this season) but all 12 should be there.  Who are you missing?

:D

22 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think the mic may not have been the problem, but interference with the signal to the mic.  It may have been due to the huge crowd and number of cell phones.  That said, I'm not sure why other corps didn't have the same problem, unless frequencies were different, or movement and distance were different.  

But I still think there should have been a backup plan.  Having a wired mic on the sideline, maybe, though it would have changed the  visual.  If nothing else, switch to a prerecording and lip synch it?

I just think it was foolish to have the central performer dependent on one wireless mic with no sort of backup.  They weren't the only corps that had a problem with a mic either, so maybe it's a technology that can't be relied on 100%.   Someone earlier mentioned sabotage, an interesting idea, who knows.    

We will never know if it rattled them causing a lower score, but it's entirely possible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It's this year's shows by last year's top 12 ( I did it at the beginning of this season) but all 12 should be there.  Who are you missing?

:D

Ah.  Was missing Cadets, but think i found it. 

MASSive?

I was wondering why described the rabbits that way.

Very Clever.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

You can't have a show that focuses on a singer for the last two thirds of the performance lip syncing on finals night. That would be a death blow to GE and rightfully so.

If you had a hand held mic hidden in the prop, it could have easily been grabbed and used. One of those things that everyone has now learned the hard way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

You can't have a show that focuses on a singer for the last two thirds of the performance lip syncing on finals night. That would be a death blow to GE and rightfully so.

If you had a hand held mic hidden in the prop, it could have easily been grabbed and used. One of those things that everyone has now learned the hard way.

I must not understand GE.

Anyway if the signal was the problem, would have to run a wire from the sideline to the prop?  Or perhaps a different frequency?