Carolina Crown 2017

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

When we run events our biggest fear is someone interfering with our microphone frequency. We make sure to have a master sheet of frequencies and anyone using a wireless mic must adhere to staying on their particular frequencies. It could have been that someone close by could have been using the same frequency or could have been an antenna issues. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Anna approached the sound tech as the DM was saluting the crowd, so the in my mind they knew they had an issue before the show started. 

Now that the glow of the season is wearing off, and listening to the finals run with fresh ears, it's just a doggone shame that the mic thing happened. Just makes my ears cringe listening through the crackling mic. I am convinced that if the back half of the show was a good as the 1st 5 minutes, it would be Crown that would have won - even with a show that I don't think was an equal to the past couple of Crown years. I'm sure next year will be another good year for Crown, though. One thing they've proven is they can pretty much roll out of Spring Training and fall into a medal position. Hope they ditch the heavy featured vocalist thing and get back to doing what this corps has consistently done the best.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

Last two out of three Finals Crown has had microphone problems.  Bad luck or what?  Hope there is a fix and that it involves standing mikes up front for brass solos, like last year, and no singing.

I will never criticize any corps. It is human nature to like certain things and dislike certain things. One thing I will never do is be negative to a corps. If I am not enthralled with a show. I keep it to myself.

I , to be honest was not a huge fan early on of this years Crown. After seeing them thru the season,  All I can say is, WOW. One of the GREATEST horn lines ever. The show has and continues to grow on me. I can get by the vocal mishap. Does not take away the brilliance. Were they clean marching........... they could have been cleaner. That said, this corps, as they have already proven will continue to be a monster.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

When we run events our biggest fear is someone interfering with our microphone frequency. We make sure to have a master sheet of frequencies and anyone using a wireless mic must adhere to staying on their particular frequencies. It could have been that someone close by could have been using the same frequency or could have been an antenna issues. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Anna approached the sound tech as the DM was saluting the crowd, so the in my mind they knew they had an issue before the show started. 

I did hear her doing a sound check of counting prior…. but couldn’t discern the quality of that check

It could have also been a cable futzing out too, maybe the emergency mic on the stand should be wired into the board, they are generally more stable. Wireless does cause a lot more issues and requires more maintenance while often giving up sound quality

I will be completely honest with you guys, after listening to this hornline in spring training, I wasn't sure that they would win the Ott. But these kids worked their butts off and turned this into one of the best lines Crown has had ever. Just an absolutely amazing story!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past two weeks, I've watched and listened to this show (and the source music) more than any other.  Amazing brass, even in the less noticeable places.  Their best percussion ever.  And programming choices that were very unexpected and original.  In some ways, this was my favorite Crown year ever.  Bravo!!

On 8/16/2017 at 9:19 PM, JFitz19 said:

Hope there is a fix and that it involves standing mikes up front for brass solos, like last year, and no singing.

If we can have a frantically pacing george along the sidelines, I see no reason at all we can't have a couple of standing mikes along the front at CC.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I suspect this will be a hugely unpopular opinion, but after going back to the 2017 preview show, I can't help but feel that the singer got *worse* as the season progressed. 

• The elephant in the room is obviously the mic issues during championships, obviously not her fault.
  • The removal of an entire verse of hers was not thought through well at all. At first I supported the change, but the piece really doesn't communicate with the melody, which she had, dropping out for so long. At the very least they could have rewritten the brass to account for this break in the  flow. The lyrics also lack continuity with that verse taken out. 
  • Her tone somehow sounded better during the preview show. I'm not sure what the voice coach was really going for.
  • The rhythmic flourishes she was forced to add ("Iiii've, heardit saiddd") did not help matters at all. Listen to her open it during the preview show, with the rhythm as written (straight eighth notes) and tell me it doesn't work much better.
  • Somehow, probably due to the coaching, she started saying "becose" instead of a normal "because" as she did in the preview show. I guess this is a vocal thing, but I couldn't help be distracted later in the season every time she said it that way.

Of course, very few of these if any are her fault, but I couldn't help notice when I went back on a whim.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I thought she got better as the season went on and can only hope they use the Thursday night show for DVD/CD. (I assume there were no issues).

Look, I at first did not care for the vocalist but she grew on me. Like how they added more color for her as well with the green/multi color dress. I think it was also a great decision to let her hair down, she is a beautiful young lady for sure. 

I hope they do go back to a all brass show, but I have listened to their show just as much the past two weeks as any other, so for me I appreciated their design this year. 

• Like 2