Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:
  • The lyrics also lack continuity with that verse taken out. 

I don't think you can talk about lyrical continuity when it goes from For Good to NO one To kNOW one.

"Because I knew you I have been changed for good" to "and every time I follow you, I fall in two. I KNOW YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2015 and 2017 Crown added so many electronic effects towards the end of the season that, to me, only got in the way of the live parts and really lessened the effect.  Ending of 2015 was particularly bad and felt it could have cost them gold.  My opinion but sometimes less is more.  

As many others are saying...this year really grew on me.  Going from wtf is this...to wow there some serious potential under this mess...to holy crap they could actually pull this off if they can clean up the guard.  Then someone forgot to change the batteries on finals night....such is life!

I'd love to have that synth bass "BRAWM!" intro from NO one To kNOW one to play when I walk into meetings at work.

It would really set the tone that I mean business. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2017 at 10:32 AM, Hrothgar15 said:

I suspect this will be a hugely unpopular opinion, but after going back to the 2017 preview show, I can't help but feel that the singer got *worse* as the season progressed. 

• The elephant in the room is obviously the mic issues during championships, obviously not her fault.
  • The removal of an entire verse of hers was not thought through well at all. At first I supported the change, but the piece really doesn't communicate with the melody, which she had, dropping out for so long. At the very least they could have rewritten the brass to account for this break in the  flow. The lyrics also lack continuity with that verse taken out. 
  • Her tone somehow sounded better during the preview show. I'm not sure what the voice coach was really going for.
  • The rhythmic flourishes she was forced to add ("Iiii've, heardit saiddd") did not help matters at all. Listen to her open it during the preview show, with the rhythm as written (straight eighth notes) and tell me it doesn't work much better.
  • Somehow, probably due to the coaching, she started saying "becose" instead of a normal "because" as she did in the preview show. I guess this is a vocal thing, but I couldn't help be distracted later in the season every time she said it that way.

Of course, very few of these if any are her fault, but I couldn't help notice when I went back on a whim.

To me it really does not matter if she got worse or better. IT'S STILL SINGING!!!. 

10 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Ugly sweater 2017

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Just listened to the audio recording, and sounds like there was some decent editing happening to take out the electronics issues. Wondering if this was the semifinals recording. 

Yes. Crown's CD recording  reportedly utilized portions of their Semi's performance due to the electronics glitch Crown had during their Finals Performance. Other Corps have had substitutions like this before, so its not unprecedented... and it does make sense to do so. Purchasers of the CD benefit with this substitution as well, imo.

Edited by BRASSO