Carolina Crown 2017

16 hours ago, Kevin. said:

Very intriguing information.  After analyzing about ten definitions of "deconstructionism" because I couldn't wrap my head around any of them...I think I sort of have a better idea of what they are going for this year.  It sort of reminds me of the DaDa movement Blue Devils recreated a few years back.  Of course, only time will tell once the final announcement is out.  Based on this tidbit of information though I feel this could be their most philosophical show yet...even more than E=mc2.        

Edited by Mac13
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DasTuba said:

I've decided this year to avoid seeing any preview shows from corps attending the premier show. Crown was my favorite last year ( no surprise there lol) but I truly think what blew me away about the bluecoats at the premier show was the fact that I hadn't seen ANYTHING from them. It was a delightful surprise. Now I want that for all the corps at the premier show! My ticket arrived in the mail yesterday front and center on the 50 and the anticipation is killing me!

I agree. It's hard to avoid preseason anything since the off season is so long but I too want to get the full effect when they all come on for first show. 

• Like 1

For anyone who has had the privilege of seeing Crown practice this year in spring training:

1) How is the guard doing in comparison to prior years?

2) Same as #1 but for percussion? 

3) Same as #1 but for drill?

31 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

For anyone who has had the privilege of seeing Crown practice this year in spring training:

1) How is the guard doing in comparison to prior years?

2) Same as #1 but for percussion? 

3) Same as #1 but for drill?

I saw them tonight, and think I'm getting a much better idea about the as-yet-unknown concept of the show. The (fairly minimalist) props -- like Lebowski's rug -- really tie the room together. And it looks like there may be more props to come. (Still no stage coach)

1) The guard look as strong as in year's past to me, someone who knows virtually nothing about guard. They have some very athletic and lithe dancers, an impressive weapons line, and some nice unison flag moments. 

2) I think they sound pretty good. The front ensemble seems maybe a step up from previous years, but that could just be because they have some cool parts that are exposed and I'm noticing more. 

3) I really like the drill. There are a couple wow moments that really stand out. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, besson57 said:

I saw them tonight, and think I'm getting a much better idea about the as-yet-unknown concept of the show. The (fairly minimalist) props -- like Lebowski's rug -- really tie the room together. And it looks like there may be more props to come. (Still no stage coach)

1) The guard look as strong as in year's past to me, someone who knows virtually nothing about guard. They have some very athletic and lithe dancers, an impressive weapons line, and some nice unison flag moments. 

2) I think they sound pretty good. The front ensemble seems maybe a step up from previous years, but that could just be because they have some cool parts that are exposed and I'm noticing more. 

3) I really like the drill. There are a couple wow moments that really stand out. 

Thank you,

Is the closer on the field yet?

On 6/10/2017 at 10:43 PM, B-Flat said:

Thank you,

Is the closer on the field yet?

I went to practice last night and didn't see the closer.

Percussion seems way ahead of prior years,

Brass sounds great and drill is cool but needs cleaning.

I know nothing about guard so can't comment. 

Show is great until the singing starts......  

I suppose it's better than narration, but it covers up the brass too much. 

It's like singing is the main thing with a little brass and percussion

in the background.   

Just my opinion of course, I don't like it.