Carolina Crown 2017

3 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

All I ask is that Crown's lack of balance be reflected on the sheets so that they are forced to improve it. It is not.

Let's see what they do between Tuesday and the next show in Muncie.   Crown will put the last minute in, and hopefully address some of the concerns that have been raised.    We'll see....    they've proven they can do it.   The fact they've been as close as they have been in scores, is encouraging.  

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Curious why you would blame the rules committee. No one is forcing any corps to use a certain vocal/instrument. Plenty of corps choose not to have singing or to not use trombones/French horns, etc 

I would suggest that the rules should state that vocalists, if used, must be judged on the same criteria as the brass & percussion.  If they are out of tune, have poor vocal quality (or whatever the singing equivalent of tone quality is called), then the Corps score should reflect it.  

Carolina has a brass line that is second to none.  The vocalist(s) need to perform at the same level, or the music score should suffer.  You are only as good as your weakest link.

(aside & off topic - Weakest Link could be a cool show...)

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 4

I remember when the Crown thread used to be all sunshine and unicorns.  My my have the times changed

6 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I remember when the Crown thread used to be all sunshine and unicorns.  My my have the times changed

Its white knight has been banished from the kingdom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would suggest that the rules should state that vocalists, if used, must be judged on the same criteria as the brass & percussion.  If they are out of tune, have poor vocal quality (or whatever the singing equivalent of tone quality is called), then the Corps score should reflect it.  

Carolina has a brass line that is second to none.  The vocalist(s) need to perform at the same level, or the music score should suffer.  You are only as good as your weakest link.

I believe that vocalists, like other musical soloists, are strictly a GE component - not part of musical analysis.  Correct?

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

All I ask is that Crown's lack of balance be reflected on the sheets so that they are forced to improve it. It is not.

I had the exact same thought. Really hope the judges are slamming them for it in GE or somewhere. I know if the judges don't say something then they wont change a thing which deeply concerns me.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I believe that vocalists, like other musical soloists, are strictly a GE component - not part of musical analysis.  Correct?

GE and music analysis will get it directly. Brass won't get it because its well not brass. Percussion might depending on how it's being used (think 05 Cadets, 05 Bluecoats, Crown 13, etc...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I thought the vocalist sounded fabulous last night. That young lady is talented and fun to watch. She is not the issue.  It's just an odd juxtaposition of songs for a show. To go from Bach to Walton to Giannini to Broadway (For Good). If they can smooth out that transition and the back end of the show comes together, they have the performance qualities to compete with Coats and BD.  By the way, the crowd really did like For Good last night. Most around me felt that the ballad was fine, even gorgeous, but then they wanted the vocals to stop after the ballad.  I personally LOVE the ballad and the back end of the show, but just not sure how it works with the front end just yet. 

As for the judging of singers, I believe they can be part of the total music ensemble caption and general effect. I would not include them in brass or percussion. But in terms of total balance and artistry/content the music ensemble caption is  appropriate, as is GE.

• Like 2

It's baffling to me how people are criticizing her singing instead of the fact that there's singing in the first place.

• Like 1