Carolina Crown 2017

7 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Please tell me you didn't just compare Crown 2017 to Cadets 2016...:spitting:

Actually, YES.  In terms of the struggle that lies ahead, in molding everything together correctly, I do see a correlation. By the end of the 2016 season, Cadets had their concept straightened out, but just a little too late. Cadets' show took an entire season to blossom. Right now, Crown is pretty deep in the weeds, I think. Plenty of talent, just like last year's Cadets. Stitching it all together for a podium finish will be a challenge.

Look, I speak as a generalist. I have no musical training. But, as of THIS date, I ask, who among Blue Devils, Santa Clara, and Bluecoats will place 4th, or lower? I can't answer that, so. . . . .

At the end, I was very impressed by 2016 Cadets. Will I feel the same with 2017 Crown? Perhaps.

• Like 3

Looks like a battle for 3rd with SCV.  Crown should win the brass caption and SCV should win the percussion caption.  Crown still has a jaw dropping horn line. As of now Crown looks to be safely ahead of the Cavaliers but we are less than a week into the season.  

Yes crown has a lot of cleaning to do... but so do all the other corps.

The vocalist is a great performer but like just about everyone else  I feel the idea of the best hornline in DCI playing an accompaniment for a singer is very discouraging.

After thoroughly enjoying every crown show since 2007-last year was a miss for me and this year is a bigger miss.

That being said if crown nails their performance finals night they will come away with a medal. They are still a top performing group.

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

In my opinion, scores mean nothing until you get to San Antonio.

Agree.. early shows, especially ones with partial panels are like Car races. They're all fighting for the lane assignments to take place at the Indy 500... lol!.  Whenever I see " partial panels ", I immediately think how only " partially informative " their scores are. I know I'm like a broken record on this, but DCI needs to require all shows to have full panels. The performers and staffers are giving 100% efforts in these shows.... but only to be met with 50% effort on the part of DCI/ show sponsors. Thats not good. No way to spin it. No way to justify it. Find the money. Period. (Rant over.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DCIDevon said:

When are they going to rewrite this show? Everything after the opener makes zero sense.

Huh? What show?

For the 14th time... the entire show is not on the field yet. They will make adjustments. The real season starts in three weeks, and until that time it would be unfair to write them off. Some concepts look better on paper then they do on the field, but I'm pretty sure that most design teams understand this and build this into the calendar. You just don't know until you begin talking to the panels to see what they're reaction is going to be. The difference between this show and the Cadets from last season is (IMO) Crown has a bit more room to adjust the show. The vague theme allows for a bit more wiggle room. Honestly, this program won't be locked in until NightBeat. I won't panic before that.

• Like 1

Crown's programs are rarely crystal clear in June, and only start to come into focus mid-July.  Not saying that this program will make sense by the end of the season, but to write this team off less than a week into the season is folly.

That is also the first time I've ever used the word "folly" in a sentence.