Time for top 14 on sat night

While there's all kind of speculation as to where twelve actually came from, the most popular and probably most credible theory is that twelve corps can fit on a field at a retreat.,Twelve has become the tradition.

I love BAC, Madison is a favorite too. I knew Academy was gaining momentum, and when I saw them live in Allentown, I knew it was more than hype. I knew that come Indy, I would be disappointed one of my favorites would not make it. I also was wowed by Troopers at semi's and as I and others have said, would not have been surprised if they had placed 12th. While I would have loved to have seen both Madison and Troopers perform live one more time, only twelve should be judged and only twelve should be considered finalists.

I have said before I could watch each corps perform each day, knowing it would not happen, and I actually mean I just love watching the corps, but this year I don't think I could have watched them all day each day. The corps were so excellent this past year, and intense, when I left Lucas Oil after watching 38 corps on Thursday and 25 on Friday, I was drained, happily drained, but drained none the less. The elimination process works and makes it exciting.

Time for top 14 on sat night?

This is, ummmmm..., 'Championship Finals' night in which you reference. And while the number of corps for the Sat night line-up is rather arbitrary it should be small enough in number so as to make it a real special accomplishment. I did a brief study of corps from each season which made a jump from fourth on back into at least the bronze from Prelims to Finals; and a valid case can be made that Sat night should only consist of those corps with a shot at a medal Thus according to history, competitively speaking, Sat night could be well served if only the top five from Friday move on to Sat. However, with your suggestion we might as well expand it to 15, or 20, or just eliminate the Thurs and Fri shows and make it a one-shot show on Sat with everyone getting participation awards. This is a 'competition' with one winner, three medal recepiants, and 12 with the privilege of performing on Sat. And while I love Madison, the Troopers, Spirit, and all of the rest of the corps; they did not 'earn' the privilege to perform on Sat; period.

Edited by Stu

While there's all kind of speculation as to where twelve actually came from, the most popular and probably most credible theory is that twelve corps can fit on a field at a retreat.,Twelve has become the tradition.

I heard it had to do with fitting recordings onto LPs. Two corps performances fit nicely per side, so 3 LPs = 12 corps.

Twelve corps is the right number. Twelve makes you work for it. I can recall one year that I believe there should've been multiple corps make it.

Even though I am a homer for a corps that has often found themselves in 13th or 14th, I say "no, no, no" to the idea of expanding Finals to 14 corps.

Yeah, some good corps sit out Finals. But, that's why you should watch the Semis.

In the 'old days' the 13th place corps did an exhibition on finals night, I personally enjoyed that because for many or the years the battle for that last spot is fierce and the corps just missing out is worth presenting on finals night. Sometimes the performance was quite moving...Crossman 1979 for example. Troopers caught magic in a bottle to get into finals (they were awesome) but Crossman were great that year as well.

We could have both the 13th place corps as well as the Open Class Champion in exhibition...there seems to be plenty of time in the pre-program to fit in another corps.

• Like 2

In the 'old days' the 13th place corps did an exhibition on finals night, I personally enjoyed that because for many or the years the battle for that last spot is fierce and the corps just missing out is worth presenting on finals night. Sometimes the performance was quite moving...Crossman 1979 for example. Troopers caught magic in a bottle to get into finals (they were awesome) but Crossman were great that year as well.

We could have both the 13th place corps as well as the Open Class Champion in exhibition...there seems to be plenty of time in the pre-program to fit in another corps.

Very many years, this seems to be the case. Madison this year, troopers last year, etc.