2017 Programs & Playlist:

We're almost there people!  Will be here before we know it, I know after spring break (mine was last week) the rest of the school year flies by and teaching seems to be accelerating that process ten fold. 

Something tells me we are in for another year of really fun shows top to bottom...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Great post, but I am just a little annoyed they cant even give a TITLE.  I wish most corps would just do what Blue Stars did.  The title gives us a hint about the show, and in MOST cases doesnt relate to repatoire and getting rights.

Yeah but sometimes concepts change as you do rewrites and you see what works and doesn't work. I've done about 3 million rewrites on shows before it's where I've wanted it to be. I think Cadets learned a valuable lesson last year with the changing of the title of the show. The show had a hard time settling in to what it could be and by the end of the year it was good but I think people tried to hold every little change over their head then. I can almost guarantee they aren't the only corps to rework their concept late in the year, sometimes having an expectation for what the show is supposed to be causes you to fit your square design into a circle concept rather than letting both the design and concept just evolve into a triangle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Adam said:

Yeah but sometimes concepts change as you do rewrites and you see what works and doesn't work. I've done about 3 million rewrites on shows before it's where I've wanted it to be. I think Cadets learned a valuable lesson last year with the changing of the title of the show. The show had a hard time settling in to what it could be and by the end of the year it was good but I think people tried to hold every little change over their head then. I can almost guarantee they aren't the only corps to rework their concept late in the year, sometimes having an expectation for what the show is supposed to be causes you to fit your square design into a circle concept rather than letting both the design and concept just evolve into a triangle.

Nothing wrong with a CONCEPT title IMO..so what if it changes...this seems to be a straw argument IMO

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Big Adam said:

Nobody needs to get over themselves.... all these corps have the rights to arrange at this point, they are probably still working on sync and performance rights. It's a really complicated situation and as more companies that deal with rights and licensing issues become aware of the the marching arts they have to legally define and redefine stuff that didn't need to be addressed before. There was a time where everyone thought the rights to arrange were also the same as the rights to perform and it's just getting more difficult to get it done. Cadets are an example of that, George has said multiple times that he wants to get the show out there but he just can't do it yet. We're such an integrated world now so you can't fly under the radar, every little thing needs to be approved and now with DCI broadcasts, Clash of the Corps, Fan Network, etc, all that needs to be cleared. Numbers of viewers, potential size of audience, viral reach, it all matters now.

Secondly, of those Open Class corps some of them are just titles, which doesn't really mean anything. Of the corps that released repertoire some of them are just doing original music. No hurdles to clear there. I would say a few of those corps probably prematurely announced their selections without all the clearances probably as a way to help gain membership. I'm sure without a doubt that most of these corps have their press release or video ready to go and are just waiting until they can release it. Drum corps now-a-days are companies, they have a plan, a schedule and timelines. Crossmen are already learning drill they still haven't told their members what the show is. The members have a clue but they're not telling them until they can. Last year, I believe it was the Bluecoats who didn't put any titles on top of their music, full show in hand, not a single idea what the music really was. It's just what it is now.

Remember when we had to read Drum Corps World to find out what the shows were. Patience. lol.

Nothing has happened in this sync and performance world in the last year...you are over complicating things to drive this false narrative IMO....but I have also heard the other side of the coin from "tesmusic" who deals with these issues on a more regular basis...therefore I'm not making a blanket statement for ALL corps

16 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Nothing has happened in this sync and performance world in the last year...you are over complicating things to drive this false narrative IMO....but I have also heard the other side of the coin from "tesmusic" who deals with these issues on a more regular basis...therefore I'm not making a blanket statement for ALL corps

I'm sorry, do I know you or do you know me? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just curious because I most certainly deal with this issues on a regular basis, unless you know something about myself that I don't know. Secondly I have no false narrative, just my own experiences, which are in the know because I'm dealing with all this stuff right now. There is no false narrative performers, artists, rights companies are actively and regularly going after arrangers, ensembles and organizations (they have a right to), that's not "fake news" that's something we're all dealing with and are trying to avoid becoming the target of. I don't know about any one else but I don't have a surplus of money, and most corps don't either, just laying around to fight legal battles over rights. Third things have happened with sync and performance rights in the last year. They've been happening in the last ten years. Just because you don't hear about them doesn't mean they aren't happening. Why do you think the all that stuff happened with fan network a few years ago? Why do you think DCA wasn't able to produce videos to sell last year? Why do you almost every year there's at least one portion of a corps show that has been edited to remove copyrighted material? Don't insult me by insinuating that I'm part of some conspiracy of copyright and licensing issues or grossly misinformed. We're all on the same side here. Be nice.

36 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Nothing wrong with a CONCEPT title IMO..so what if it changes...this seems to be a straw argument IMO

Yea, tell that to Cadets, who were *ravaged* online by fans after the multiple title/concept changes last year.

Tell us when you're ready, designers. We'll wait.

34 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Nothing has happened in this sync and performance world in the last year...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<breath>

No, seriously, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None. Zip. Zero. It's changed *enormously*.

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

<breath>

No, seriously, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None. Zip. Zero. It's changed *enormously*.

Well rather than degrading me because you want to look like your mr. smarty-pants and pound your chest in victory...why don't you cite for all of us (bullet points)...what has actually changed...And it always amazes me on how people take a certain comment out of context when the comment had a very limited purpose of talking about "show titles"...so save your laughter for someone else dude...

1 hour ago, Big Adam said:

I'm sorry, do I know you or do you know me? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just curious because I most certainly deal with this issues on a regular basis, unless you know something about myself that I don't know. Secondly I have no false narrative, just my own experiences, which are in the know because I'm dealing with all this stuff right now. There is no false narrative performers, artists, rights companies are actively and regularly going after arrangers, ensembles and organizations (they have a right to), that's not "fake news" that's something we're all dealing with and are trying to avoid becoming the target of. I don't know about any one else but I don't have a surplus of money, and most corps don't either, just laying around to fight legal battles over rights. Third things have happened with sync and performance rights in the last year. They've been happening in the last ten years. Just because you don't hear about them doesn't mean they aren't happening. Why do you think the all that stuff happened with fan network a few years ago? Why do you think DCA wasn't able to produce videos to sell last year? Why do you almost every year there's at least one portion of a corps show that has been edited to remove copyrighted material? Don't insult me by insinuating that I'm part of some conspiracy of copyright and licensing issues or grossly misinformed. We're all on the same side here. Be nice.

I do not dispute what you are saying...perhaps I did not make myself clear when I posted my response and it came off wrong or a bit snarky on my part.  If so, I apologize for that.  I was more basing my comments on the simple fact of corps at least announcing a show title or hint about the program...that all these other issues just muck up that point...There has been ONLY ONE corps to my knowledge that has stated publicly that their licensing is an issue of grave concern...I have not heard that from other organizations...to add...most of the DCA corps have announced there repertoires for that matter since you cite information about DCA...and I will state I have NO IDEA about the current state of licensing and synch rights etc...perhaps my blanket statement about that was a bit premature...

35 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I do not dispute what you are saying...perhaps I did not make myself clear when I posted my response and it came off wrong or a bit snarky on my part.  If so, I apologize for that.  I was more basing my comments on the simple fact of corps at least announcing a show title or hint about the program...that all these other issues just muck up that point...There has been ONLY ONE corps to my knowledge that has stated publicly that their licensing is an issue of grave concern...I have not heard that from other organizations...to add...most of the DCA corps have announced there repertoires for that matter since you cite information about DCA...and I will state I have NO IDEA about the current state of licensing and synch rights etc...perhaps my blanket statement about that was a bit premature...

It's all good. I'm just as excited about show announcements as anyone. I've got students and friends either marching or teaching in a bunch of corps at this point. I keep asking them for info and the response I keep getting is "to be honest we don't even know what the show is", most of the time they are waiting on the rights to clear. I don't think any corps would come out and say we haven't announced our show yet because of rights because in my opinion that's not the kind of public relations you really want out there but like I have said George has been pretty open about that being the reason for the Cadets. No one is as transparent with the inner workings as that man, so you would have to believe that's why some teams are holding off. A large portion of DCA corps have announced their shows or selections just for recruitment reasons but I can tell you without diving into it too much into it, it has caused a small hurdle that we are trying to jump right now. That's how I know of the struggles that all corps are going through with rights. The rights issue is a real tricky one because it's only recently come to a brutal head, many lawsuits, many settlements. Everyone is trying to be as careful as possible.

I also think that corps have found recent success with how and when they release their show announcement. If Bluecoats announced their show early on most people would have turned their nose up at the concept of "Downside up". Not to mention that none of their musical selections actually supported that concept. Then they came out in the theaters and floored everyone, then all of sudden the source material and title didn't matter much, it was just awesome. All that excitement carried them through the entire season. Sometimes corps announce too early and the momentum for them fizzles out, how many years have people nitpicked a show apart before it even hit the field? I've done it myself hahaha. So to your earlier point I don't think it's a matter of corps "getting over themselves", it's a matter of rights issues and strategy.