2017 Programs & Playlist:

Spirit of Atlanta will announce their show on Thursday, May 18 at 3pm ET. They also included a hint in the form of a picture (it may seem familiar if you've been to the 2017 Uniform Thread lately).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_pfASGXcAIJ7mZ?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

3 hours ago, sagemode67 said:

SCV :Ouroboros 

Interplay for Piano Four Hands and Orchestra by David Gillingham
The Triumph of Time by Peter Graham
Song of Eight Unruly Tipsy Poets by Zhou Long
Into a Virtual World by Amin Bhatia
Remembering the Future from “Wait of the World” by Stephen Melillo

I can't even pronounce the title...boy am I ignorant...

SCV tracks have been added to the playlists.  Starting to look like a really good year.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Liahona said:

The big question is: how will Brandt Crocker pronounce it?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Performing their show Ourbra, Drum Corps International is proud to present THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD!!!!!!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Clutchtow said:

What's interesting is that it seems like both Vanguard and BD have very similar "reinventing self" shows, but honestly, I think Vanguards is much better from the very little information I have. BD's sounds to me like a vague concept show that I feel like has been done a lot by high school bands and winter guards. Meanwhile, Vanguard put an interesting twist where they are tying it to a concrete symbol they can draw from, while still giving them room for layering the concept.

granted, this is based off of a 2 paragraph blurb by each corps, so I'm making a lot of leaps.

Didn't the CROSSMEN and BLUE KNIGHTS do these themed shows the last few years?? 

On 5/12/2017 at 3:13 PM, MikeN said:

Based on the Cali corps program announcements, it seems that the lessons learned from the last few years are -

- Visually, Bluecoats showed you can move to dance/athletic wear and the audience and judges seem ok with it.

- Musically, Crown has proven everyone must put a British brass band piece in their program now?  :blink:

Mike

If you think about it,  brass band music is as close to "written for drum corps" as you can get without actually commissioning a piece.  IMO  the more brass band, the better! 

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

On 5/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, Liahona said:

On 5/12/2017 at 7:49 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

On 5/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, BoaDci said:

Performing their show Ourbra, Drum Corps International is proud to present THE SANTA CLARA VANGUARD!!!!!!

slight tangent here (please don't delete my post, JohnZ) but i got sick of my freshman giggling whenever the name "Uranus" came up when we were getting ready to read The Odyssey. 

so i changed my lessons to calling him "Ouranos" instead. pronunciation takes about 10 seconds to cover, and it works. 

again, please don't delete my post. i'm comparing two greek words "ouroboros" (scv's show) and "ouranos" that share some etymology. thanks. 

• Like 1