2017 Programs & Playlist:

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Who knew there were so many ways to say the same thing, Self-referential rebirth shows are so hot right now. The only thing missing is a corps using the phoenix from the flames as their symbolic element.  There is still time I guess.

Sounds Biblical. Book of Genesis, maybe.

Edited by Liahona

Sounds wicked pissah!!!!!!!!

2017-Show_Homepage-slider-1024x400.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Boston Crusaders 2017: "Wicked Games"

http://bostoncrusaders.org/2017-program/

Titles have been added to my playlists.

I know I'm going to take heat for this...but so it's Metamorph (is that a word?), some Serpent that eats itself,  just the title "i"...lowercase!  Not uppercase! (with an eye image), Enigma, and now a semi-Satanic (partly being funny here) "Wicked Games."   

It's as if we are afraid to make any value judgement whatsoever in our show theme, and if there is one...it's got to be dark and Eastern.   Dark, obscure, esoteric, enigmas are what these initial show concepts seem to be about.   There's no balance to this with shows that have true meaning and are uplifting year after year (except for Crown, The Academy, and at times others).  I get you can't be "Disneyland" and "Pollyanna" ever year and in every show but too many corps are force-feeding us post-modern baloney devoid of substance that leaves people scratching their heads after the corps walks off the field.  "What was that?" is what we hear. 

And I'm sure it's partly to show how avant-guard and "sophisticated" we are being.  "You just don't get it Chris. You just don't SEE what's there."  No I don't.  And neither does most of the audience.   You can be sophisticated and entertaining.  You don't have to make your show as unclear as a stained dirty glass.  And shows can reflect real life. They don't always have to be abstract obscurities from the ancient world.  

How many inspiring topics could you do this year that could actually affect people's lives?   What about stories that draw attention to the beauty in the world, like natural beauty (natural parks or nature), a husband or wife who volunteers to serve his country and leaves his family, a story of kids making it out of poverty from the inner city, a theme about redemption from drugs or alcohol, current news events with inspirational examples.  The ideas are endless. Drum corps and art doesn't just exist for art's sake.  It exists to inspire, to motivate, to draw our soul's out into a cause bigger than ourselves.  To uplift our spirits.  No to leave the audience more confused.  That is a waste of art, in my opinion. 

Instead, it's a snake. An eye.  A Wicked Game.  An enigma. 

Shows that are so out-there in theme (I had to consult my ancient mythological dictionary from college just to remember what an Ouroboros was), that we're wondering when did Western Civilization leave DCI?   

I get that too heavy a dose of saccharine shows and crowd pleasers ad nauseaum can make one feel ill.  I'm not asking for more of those shows.   I'm asking for a decreased dose of shows with no real vitamins in my medicine.  Or at least some meaning to draw out from the abstract.   I think that will make everyone feeling better.  

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 3

Wat :plain:

59 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

How many inspiring topics could you do this year that could actually affect people's lives?

Zero. It is drum corps, not cancer, the lottery, or Godzilla. Affecting people's lives? You want drum corps to... what? Inspire the audience to quit their job and take a trip to Paris? Buy a new house? Invent a new source of power?

I think your bar is set a bit too high for this artistic medium.

59 minutes ago, chris7997 said:

Shows that are so out-there in theme (I had to consult my ancient mythological dictionary from college just to remember what an Ouroboros was), that we're wondering when did Western Civilization leave DCI?   

Probably 1990 when Star played Belshazzar's Feast, an abstract obscurity from the ancient world, so to speak. Or perhaps Suncoast Sound's "Florida Suite" in 1985, since the debate rages to this day whether Florida is actually part of civilization or not.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Wat :plain:

Zero. It is drum corps, not cancer, the lottery, or Godzilla. Affecting people's lives? You want drum corps to... what? Inspire the audience to quit their job and take a trip to Paris? Buy a new house? Invent a new source of power?

I think your bar is set a bit too high for this artistic medium.

Probably 1991 when Star played Belshazzar's Feast, an abstract obscurity from the ancient world, so to speak. Or perhaps Suncoast Sound's "Florida Suite" in 1985, since the debate rages to this day whether Florida is actually part of civilization or not.

Mass is pretty Western culture.