2017 Programs & Playlist:

41 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Metamorph is a perfectly cromulant word

Not only that, but metamorph is a noun form of metamorphosis, the Greek term used to describe transfiguration ... as in the transfiguration of Jesus as described in the Bible. That's a pretty western Judeo-Christian concept. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

. Nevermind I'm just crazy

Edited by Clutchtow

3 hours ago, chris7997 said:

How many inspiring topics could you do this year that could actually affect people's lives?

O brother, where art thou? Maybe watch Sullivan's Travel's and then get back to us.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Metamorph is a perfectly cromulant word

I'd like a corps to do a show titled "Embiggens".

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, chris7997 said:

There's no balance to this with shows that have true meaning and are uplifting year after year (except for Crown, The Academy, and at times others). 

Don't forget...

Crown 2016: bro's dad was killed!

The Academy 2016: bro's wife-to-be was killed!

17 hours ago, chris7997 said:

.it's got to be dark and Eastern.   Dark, obscure, esoteric, enigmas are what these initial show concepts seem to be about.   There's no balance to this with shows that have true meaning and are uplifting year after year (

I agree with most of what you said especially this piece.  I don't know why this is but it seems corps have a real comfort with doing these types of shows. they may go a brighter direction for a year possibly two but then they go right back to the dark, esoteric well.  SCV is probably the most disappointing announcement I heard so far. Celebrating 50 years and they're going to go with what appears to be a very dark edgy direction. If you asked me, something along the lines of what they did last year would be a great 50th anniversary show. instead it's probably going to be very disappointing. 

Just my opinion… 

• Like 1

IF theme is going to be heavily integrated into a show, there has to be a tendency to go dark because it offers greater variety. under the "all happy families are alike..." banner, I don't think I'm being unfair to point out that the Uplifting shows frequently cluster together in flavor, and that has led them to be less effective (see: Cadets 2014, 02, 07, 08), Wheras if you go sinister and cynical, there's range(see: Cavaliers 2016, 14, 10).  I certainly noticed an increased eyerolling and lack of verve in the response to Cadets shows as they tread that ground while the Cavaliers have gained traction as they've gone darker.

Not that Happy Shows haven't done well.

Troopers have made ground with Positive Thematic shows.  Blue Stars 2014 presented a heart lifting show in fresh way. 

Crown had an formula in 14,15,16 of 'heavy show, powerful uplifting ending,' it rocked the house in 15 but last year the it wasn't as effective

with the caveat, of course, that show construction and execution will of course alter how a theme is received.

so not only do dark shows offer the opportunity for a Huzzah! Fanfare ending (see Crown), but there are also just more flavors to choose from.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:46 PM, hostrauser said:

I think your bar is set a bit too high for this artistic medium.

No, I'm just open-minded and arguing for greater diversity of shows with real meaning.   These shows that are esoteric and avante guard remind me of a teenager who thinks he's being original and unique because he gets a tattoo and gets a nose ring.  No, he's being cliche.  Every other teenager gets a tattoo and a nose ring.   These shows like Metamorph and "i" and Enigma claim modernity, originality, newness and imaginativeness, but to me they are nothing but the same old cliched teenager trying to die his hair to be "original" because it's cool and hip.  These relativistic shows are put out year after year after year...since the 1990s. 

I welcome that style to drum corps, but can we get some balance and diversity with substance too please?  If you feel strongly about diversity, you will want a diverse set of shows. 

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

There are still show announcements yet to be released, so please keep this thread on topic.

You realize you're asking that on DCP, right?

• Like 2