Field Electronics - How much is too much?

Something that is getting a lot of play in a few threads is the topic of electronics - specifically the large amount of microphones and multiple speakers the Bluecoats have used the past two seasons. While the corps is turning this into an art form, several questions have been raised, including:

• Limitations - should corps be limited in the amount of electronics that can be used on the field? Should speakers be limited to the front sideline?
  • Since other corps will no doubt follow this trend, is there financial implications to be considered?
  • Overall, is this good for the activity?

I personally don't mind the use of electronics on the field as long as its done well, which the Bluecoats have shown they can. Curious what everyone else thinks.

I'm not a fan of synthesizer patches of instruments that are too far from what we're used to hearing in acoustic drum corps: electric guitars, whatever the dubstep sound is, etc. Other than that, as long as your electronics have the volume level of a pit, and not a hornline (or louder!), I'm fine with it. (No talking ever, please.)

As for brass solos, they sound much better unamplified but I can understand using them for added effects, or for staging the solo toward the back of the field. Either make it sound very obviously altered, or make it sound the same volume an acoustic solo would be. Anything in the middle is this weird uncanny valley territory.

Edited by Hrothgar15

How much is too much?

Bluecoats.

Edited by UKSuperman
  • Like 2

I guess I'm the only person in the world this year that hardly noticed Bluecoats electronics this year. I saw them live and was only 7 rows up next to the 50 and the electronics were something that I never even noticed. Maybe my attention was drawn elsewhere or they were so well integrated I couldn't tell they were there, but the only time I actually could really hear something was the rewind section.

• Like 3

I guess I'm the only person in the world this year that hardly noticed Bluecoats electronics this year. I saw them live and was only 7 rows up next to the 50 and the electronics were something that I never even noticed. Maybe my attention was drawn elsewhere or they were so well integrated I couldn't tell they were there, but the only time I actually could really hear something was the rewind section.

Agreed, they might use electronics more than other corps, but I think they blend it a bit more. Some of the Crown electronics, like the violin patch, were jarring.

To me -- semi-finals made it pretty clear what the electronics were doing for the Bluecoats. When their sound is so well integrated, it means you can't tell the acoustic from the electronic. And THAT opens a whole can of worms doesn't it. Bound to happen I guess.

• Like 4

I liken this matter to that old television commercial in which the announcer asked "Is it real, or is it Memorex?" For those of you under age 40, Memorex was a popular brand of tape for non-digital recording.

I'd prefer not to have to figure out how my favorite brass line is able to produce such a powerful and rich blend. Phantom Regiment never had a problem pulling that off the old-fashioned way! Some clearly defined limits need to be developed for this relatively new addition. That will happen, I hope. Micing the soloists has been a HUGE improvement. No problem there. Also some sound effects injected helps, too!

Just don't want to ever see a 20 member brass line come on and blowout Carolina Crown because of a purchase they made at Watts 'R Us !

• Like 3

pretty clear it's just going to get bigger and bigger, so no point in dwelling on it too much

Agreed. Technology changes fast and corps want to try it out. Go for it I say