Field Electronics - How much is too much?

So can a brake drum, but they used a patch for that too. :satisfied:

If we're gonna go that route...

Better to use a patch for a sound than to make up for tubas when you have 16 of them...

Better to use a patch for sounds than to use a pitch bender when the same effect can be done on a brass instrument.

Should I keep going?

As I've said before, sounds are one thing. When you go using brass patches it's a whole different thing, and should be against the rules honestly. If you can't play it on your instrument well enough to the point that you have to use a patch on a synth, you should just pack it up and go home in my opinion.

• Like 3

Some posts early in this tread, as well as on other treads...over the past 2 years.

I agree with none of the criticism I saw over the past couple of years.

Calling Kinetic Noise "Tilt 2" was the silliest by far.

I preferred Tilt to Kinetic Noise and Downside Up because I personally liked the brass book and show concept better. Doesn't mean that all 3 weren't well-designed and well-performed.

I like what people are saying in here about how even though Bloo uses a ton of electronics and micing, the design and integration make it "feel" like it's not so overwhelming. Maybe some other corps will try for a higher standard with their integration of the toys like Bloo has done for the past 3 years. Hope so.

• Like 2

Better to use a patch for a sound than to make up for tubas when you have 16 of them...

Better to use a patch for sounds than to use a pitch bender when the same effect can be done on a brass instrument.

Should I keep going?

As I've said before, sounds are one thing. When you go using brass patches it's a whole different thing, and should be against the rules honestly. If you can't play it on your instrument well enough to the point that you have to use a patch on a synth, you should just pack it up and go home in my opinion.

Is there a rule that prevents a corps from producing all of the horn sound from the electronics and marching the brass as props?

Is there a rule that prevents a corps from producing all of the horn sound from the electronics and marching the brass as props?

Not that I'm aware of. Like I said, it SHOULD be against the rules. Lol.

• Like 1

Should I keep going?

So are these professional DCI Brass Judges evaluating the sub-caption without being able to tell the difference between the two?

Bluecoats were second in Brass by just 0.033

• Like 1

My opinion, and only my opinion: ALL sounds should produced by wind or sticks/mallets...... no narration needed.....no amplified solo, just DRUM & BUGLE. I'd even prefer one-valve G and smaller corps at the local level separate from DCI...... keep kids who are non-music majors in an activity year round. As much as I was amazed and loved all 38 corps that performed in prelims (especially Academy and Crown), I'd like to see a return to local circuits limited to Friday/Saturday/Sunday competitions, ala Garden State Circuit. I don't need to hear responses that churches, scout troops, and veterans organizations can't afford it. It can be done when adults put their minds and resources to it.

Source music should be final output music, blown through the lips.

So are these professional DCI Brass Judges evaluating the sub-caption without being able to tell the difference between the two?

Bluecoats were second in Brass by just 0.033

Clearly they're rewarding it regardless, so I guess I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about then.

What do I know?

I'm starting to think I'm the real life Jon Snow.

Should I keep going?

Electronics can make a different color than a tuba section.

Electronics cam make a different color than a pitch-bend brass section.

Should I keep going?