Field Electronics - How much is too much?

Electronics can make a different color than a tuba section.

Electronics cam make a different color than a pitch-bend brass section.

Should I keep going?

Sure. Go for it. What's stopping ya?

By the way, I didn't know you could paint using a synth. Hmm, maybe I should try it sometime! There seems to be all kinds of uses for synths that I never thought of!

Edited by UKSuperman

Is there a rule that prevents a corps from producing all of the horn sound from the electronics and marching the brass as props?

I've said this before, but someday, all of drum corps will be driven by 8 organists on the front sideline, using their hands and feet to control all sound, whilst 150 visually-oriented people dance on the field. Corps will get ovations for "old school" marching segments. It will be all drum pads and synthesized theater-orchestra, using surround sound, maybe even piped through some of the venue's speaker system. Every now and again, some small sections of the 150 performers will perform small instrumental vignettes, but make no mistake...the real draw will be the thetraical effect of the full-orchestra soundtrack-like aspect of the technical setup, and the circus-like movements (maybe even acrobatics) on the field.

The audience will have completely changed over by then, with those of us who love real live music cast aside again.

But it will be more popular than ever.

• Like 1

Imagine two circuits of drum corps:

1) All acoustic, no electronics, drums and bugles as some have said

2) Anything goes, even woodwinds

Which one will be more popular? ANS: #2, without a doubt. #1 will get smaller and smaller every year.

Maybe. Why bother having any rules then?

This thread went 0 to 100 real fast.

You could say it was Gone In 60 Seconds perhaps...

• Like 1

Maybe. Why bother having any rules then?

I've advocated for less rules, even all-age, any-number of members, woodwinds, etc...

My constraint is a function of time. You can use anything you want, but you have only 15 minutes to get it all done (enter, show, exit). That's 2 less minutes than now.

I've advocated for less rules, even all-age, any-number of members, woodwinds, etc...

My constraint is a function of time. You can use anything you want, but you have only 15 minutes to get it all done (enter, show, exit). That's 2 less minutes than now.

Roll in the electronics, collect 140 volunteers from the stands, have them dance for 12 minutes, then disconnect and roll out the electronics. Rinse and repeat all summer.

Imagine two circuits of drum corps:

1) All acoustic, no electronics, drums and bugles as some have said

2) Anything goes, even woodwinds

Which one will be more popular? ANS: #2, without a doubt. #1 will get smaller and smaller every year.

#1 for exhibition shows

#2 for COMPETITION