Field Electronics - How much is too much?

I guess I'm the only person in the world this year that hardly noticed Bluecoats electronics this year. I saw them live and was only 7 rows up next to the 50 and the electronics were something that I never even noticed. Maybe my attention was drawn elsewhere or they were so well integrated I couldn't tell they were there, but the only time I actually could really hear something was the rewind section.

I saw them live as well, I didn't notice their electronics at all when they performed. I do think there should be limitations, but the question "how much is too much?" I guess we will find out when we get there. I think the most electronic show this year was the cavaliers and it received positive reactions every where. A few years ago Carolina Crown "Out of this world" had to perform without their electronics though because it rained heavily before the show and you could tell their show relied heavily on it.

Yeah, I just don't think we have reached a "bad for the activity" level yet..

I'm totally against them being an oppressive and an overwhelming presence, no one this year approaches that for me PERSONALLY sans the usual overwhelming brown note bass from two corps that same night in Denton.

It's not the "oppressive and overwhelming presence" that bothers me so much as the hidden enhancements such that no one, possibly even judges, can tell what they are hearing.

• Like 1

It's not the "oppressive and overwhelming presence" that bothers me so much as the hidden enhancements such that no one, possibly even judges, can tell what they are hearing.

And I personally didn't experience that. Like I said, I was probably 15 feet from the front sideline and I didn't hear anyone that was questionable. That includes all of the top 12 sans Blue Devils, Phantom, and Boston.

Edited by DrumManTx

I've said this before, but someday, all of drum corps will be driven by 8 organists on the front sideline, using their hands and feet to control all sound, whilst 150 visually-oriented people dance on the field.

In other words: Rhythmic gymnastics. :tongue:

• Like 1

In other words: Rhythmic gymnastics. :tongue:

worse......SYNCHRONIZED gymnastics.....as in sync swimming and sync diving. Although diving is silent.......of course, we could always amplify the splash or better yet, cover the splash with one of those "plunk" or "boing" samples...... or maybe use the negative sound wave of the splash so as to render it silent. Wouldn't it be neat to put props in the water.....like dive into a ducky flotation rings?

There's a difference between using sound/choral patches and using patches to make up for what you lack in sound from the instruments on the field. Which is what most people, including myself, find troublesome.

you're gonna get crucified for saying that! don't try to speak for the masses -- friendly DCP advice.

Include me among the "most people" who find it particularly problematic when electronics are used to augment or cover up brass.

• Like 1

Considering how they made out in 2016, and how many times the show did go on with electronics missing, your statement could be disputed.

So you are saying they had multiple performances in which there were no sound bites and no microphones used on any instruments?