Field Electronics - How much is too much?

well presumably he was somewhere in Minnesota on July 16th... just sayin' :wink:

Actually, I was vacationing in Colorado on July 16th, if DCP must know, lol.

Funniest thing I've read all season.

FYI, not a Bluecoats hater, as I did buy a show shirt.

At DCI Kentucky, their electronics definitely covered up the ensemble themselves, as well as the synths playing brass parts with brass patches.

Sorry, but it did happen.

ESPECIALLY with the "tubas".

By the way, they're called Contras.

OK then, you heard a "mistake," in the middle of the season. Excuse my phraseology (using the word "never"). Noted!

For my tastes, it’s already too much with some corps, more so when the rigs seem to keep failing which, happened to several corps at several shows I was at this year. When they do fail I feel a bit ripped off yet, happy I get to hear the corps (not the rigs)

An 80 person hornline playing well is impressive and sounds great to me, just don’t get that from a synth, it's like spit in my beer and steps on the sound.

I could give some specific example but we are in the super sensitive band-parent post finals mode so rather not stir up the tourists

• Like 3

He designs, implements. refines, trains and teaches staff and members. He is involved early and often and applies the same level of expertise and detail that he does on his non-corps jobs.

The following extracted from his own breakdown which hopefully lends some insight.

http://bluecoats.com/alumni/blue-review/

And he's there through ties. I doubt Bloo is paying Broadway prices

Addressing a few of the most popular questions in this thread:

- Unless you mean discussion on DCP - no, there will not be discussion among DCI staffs or administrators about cost concerns, or rule concerns, regarding electronics this winter... or any winter. They are here to stay. They are also likely to be featured prominently, thanks to a culture of designers, judges and manufacturer reps who move between those roles and between DCI, WGI and band circuits so much that they have lost interest in whatever used to distinguish them from each other. For now, creativity in DCI is defined by force-fitting relatively new elements from the other pageantry activities, almost to the exclusion of doing anything creative with such dated items as bell-front brass instruments or portable percussion.

- Can any line be drawn on tasteful or appropriate use of electronics? The first 13 years of use in DCI suggest it is unlikely. Maybe if judges called out problems and evaluated their full severity, we would see some smarter tactics. For instance, since soloist mics so often fail, better to still have the soloist at least face front so that we still hear the solo either way.

- Oh, and will there still be failures? Yes, and with the same annoying frequency we are becoming accustomed to (sadly).

I'm thinking when the amount of electronics and special-effects gear gets to the point where it's larger than a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show... then perhaps we've gone too far. :tongue:

Something that is getting a lot of play in a few threads is the topic of electronics - specifically the large amount of microphones and multiple speakers the Bluecoats have used the past two seasons. While the corps is turning this into an art form, several questions have been raised, including:

• Limitations - should corps be limited in the amount of electronics that can be used on the field? Should speakers be limited to the front sideline?
  • Since other corps will no doubt follow this trend, is there financial implications to be considered?
  • Overall, is this good for the activity?

I personally don't mind the use of electronics on the field as long as its done well, which the Bluecoats have shown they can. Curious what everyone else thinks.

No

No

Yes

• Like 1

You heard it here first: I predict in about 10 years tech will have advanced to where everyone on the field can be mic'ed (cheap & disposable) and they can mix and route everything thru an app. Folks who hate amps and synths can listen to the unplugged sound from the field. The rest can get the full experience listening to the app and as loud as you want it.

When the band I teach was very tiny, around 2002, we wireless micced every wind player on the field except the two trumpets, the mello player, and the two piccs. About a dozen were micced overall.

• Like 1

Just wanted to make mention that the Bluecoats didn't just win with GE this year. I haven't gone back and reviewed the scores from all 30 shows, but in the vast majority INCLUDING finals they won MUSIC. Many times they won sub-captions of BRASS, MUSIC ANALYSIS, and PERCUSSION.

From the judges ON the field and the judges UP in the box...they were usually #1. The electronics was NOT a negative to them, but in fact impressed them. The way they used it, actually incorporating it into the composition of the show music, was an important part of them becoming World Champions.

Finally, and equally important, the folks that paid to see/hear them perform liked it too.

• Like 2

Just wanted to make mention that the Bluecoats didn't just win with GE this year. I haven't gone back and reviewed the scores from all 30 shows, but in the vast majority INCLUDING finals they won MUSIC. Many times they won sub-captions of BRASS, MUSIC ANALYSIS, and PERCUSSION.

From the judges ON the field and the judges UP in the box...they were usually #1. The electronics was NOT a negative to them, but in fact impressed them. The way they used it, actually incorporating it into the composition of the show music, was an important part of them becoming World Champions.

Finally, and equally important, the folks that paid to see/hear them perform liked it too.

They almost won brass. Was REALLY close.

• Like 1