Field Electronics - How much is too much?

I personally love the electronics being used except for one major exception. I hate the brass being supplemented (with a patch or whatever the case may be) usually for volume purposes but not always. I don't think any brass instrument patches should be allowed. The horn line shouldn't need any help in that department. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

Who wants to bet that within 10 years, an electronics caption pops up on the sheets?

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only person in the world this year that hardly noticed Bluecoats electronics this year. I saw them live and was only 7 rows up next to the 50 and the electronics were something that I never even noticed. Maybe my attention was drawn elsewhere or they were so well integrated I couldn't tell they were there, but the only time I actually could really hear something was the rewind section.

You could hardly tell? Um............

Once the electronics reaches the point that the artists want it to, we can eliminate the music judges completely and restructure the scores as percussion (sticks only), 20; visual, 40; and GE, 40.

You can imitate just about any instrument on a synth with an easy setting. I don't know why there are still horns being used.

Edited by D41145
  • Like 2

When the band I teach was very tiny, around 2002, we wireless micced every wind player on the field except the two trumpets, the mello player, and the two piccs. About a dozen were micced overall.

When the DCI corps started miking their soloists a few years back, I was completely against it, unless it was used to create a special effect.

But now.... after seeing/hearing how the solos and featured small-group brass segments (the trombone features, etc.) are staged within a show, the use of microphones makes perfect sense.

And it seems more corps are figuring out how to make proper use of those microphones... there are far fewer examples of tin-can, overmodulated, just plain bad sound.

You could hardly tell? Um............

I'm not lying. Like I said, must have been seamlessly integrated. After getting annoyingly blasted out of my seat with electronics from two unnamed corps that went before them I was expecting a lot more from what some people on here were saying.

D41145...when you find a synth that sounds like Carolina Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, and Cadets (to name just a few) would you let me know. I'd sure like one in my man cave.

Considering Bluecoats used a brass patch on the synth, just find out what brand they used. You'll be able to play like them in no time. XD

Edited by UKSuperman