Field Electronics - How much is too much?

Why so bitter?

Pretty sure I meant that one as a joke. Hense the XD face...

They almost won brass. Was REALLY close.

I know.

It's a big deal, IMO.

I can't imagine the premiere brass writers (klesch, meehan, bocook) ever arranging a bunch of ostinatos and a ballad, no matter how much it might fit a show concept. Just not in their DNA, in my opinion. And it came within a sliver of winning brass. There's a strong possibility of a musical transition to more WGI-type shows just as much as a visual one. Will be really interesting to see what happens.

Edited by Lance

I know.

It's a big deal, IMO.

I can't imagine the premiere brass writers (klesch, meehan, bocook) ever arranging a bunch of ostinatos and a ballad, no matter how much it might fit a show concept. Just not in their DNA, in my opinion. And it came within a sliver of winning brass. There's a strong possibility of a musical transition to more WGI-type shows just as much as a visual one. Will be really interesting to see what happens.

I agree with your first point. I can't see Klesch venturing away from his stock technical exposé while standing elbow-to-elbow in an S Curve or clustered together in a circle. But I'm glad the Bluecoats staff had the guts to take a risk and create a stage for something new and going after a different challenge. Instead of copying, they tried something unique and it paid off. Do I want every corps playing this kind of stuff with sections 60 yards apart with a 50 yard pit spread? No. But I loved it, regardless of the competitive result. There might be some copycats, but I suspect most groups with continue with evolving their own identity.

• Like 2

I can't imagine the premiere brass writers (klesch, meehan, bocook) ever arranging a bunch of ostinatos and a ballad

Are you saying the source music (Heat of the Day, Raga Raja, Todo Tiende etc.) are just ostinatos, or the arrangements watered them down to be?

• Like 1

After listening to the Top 5 a few more times, I'm wondering why Bloo is getting so ragged on for using "electronics" when Crown and Cavs used a TON of sound patches and soundbites.

Can you imagine either show without those?

No screaming eagle, howling wolf, naying horses, gun shot, choral ensembles, violin, and/or cracking whip just to name A FEW for Crown?

And no way The Cavaliers show would have even worked without electronics.

• Like 1

After listening to the Top 5 a few more times, I'm wondering why Bloo is getting so ragged on for using "electronics" when Crown and Cavs used a TON of sound patches and soundbites.

Can you imagine either show without those?

No screaming eagle, howling wolf, naying horses, gun shot, choral ensembles, violin, and/or cracking whip just to name A FEW for Crown?

And no way The Cavaliers show would have even worked without electronics.

where are they getting "ragged on" ?

I agree with your first point. I can't see Klesch venturing away from his stock technical exposé while standing elbow-to-elbow in an S Curve or clustered together in a circle. But I'm glad the Bluecoats staff had the guts to take a risk and create a stage for something new and going after a different challenge. Instead of copying, they tried something unique and it paid off. Do I want every corps playing this kind of stuff with sections 60 yards apart with a 50 yard pit spread? No. But I loved it, regardless of the competitive result. There might be some copycats, but I suspect most groups with continue with evolving their own identity.

crown has had outrageous field coverage. can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face. just look at '09,'10 for starters.

it's ok be a bloo honk. but at least be accurate if you're gonna slam another line.