Field Electronics - How much is too much?

After listening to the Top 5 a few more times, I'm wondering why Bloo is getting so ragged on for using "electronics" when Crown and Cavs used a TON of sound patches and soundbites.

Can you imagine either show without those?

No screaming eagle, howling wolf, naying horses, gun shot, choral ensembles, violin, and/or cracking whip just to name A FEW for Crown?

And no way The Cavaliers show would have even worked without electronics.

There's a difference between using sound/choral patches and using patches to make up for what you lack in sound from the instruments on the field. Which is what most people, including myself, find troublesome.

Some posts early in this tread, as well as on other treads...over the past 2 years.

just skimmed over the thread -- not seeing anyone ragging on them. unless you mean the discussion about electronics vs. brass. seems to me that's just a discussion -- nobody insulting the Bluecoats. but you're the 2nd person in this thread to trot out a little butt-hurt (Bruckner did it first by throwing out the Bloo-haters tag) . have to admit im kinda surprised to see the corps that won suffering from butt hurt. but that's DCP for you...

(as for the 2 years thing , :doh:)

• Like 2

There's a difference between using sound/choral patches and using patches to make up for what you lack in sound from the instruments on the field. Which is what most people, including myself, find troublesome.

you're gonna get crucified for saying that! don't try to speak for the masses -- friendly DCP advice.

you're gonna get crucified for saying that! don't try to speak for the masses -- friendly DCP advice.

They wanna start in on me I'll quote them. Simple as that.

Exactly! I have no problem with any electronics unless they are using brass patches to pump up their sound.

After listening to the Top 5 a few more times, I'm wondering why Bloo is getting so ragged on for using "electronics" when Crown and Cavs used a TON of sound patches and soundbites.

Can you imagine either show without those?

No screaming eagle, howling wolf, naying horses, gun shot, choral ensembles, violin, and/or cracking whip just to name A FEW for Crown?

And no way The Cavaliers show would have even worked without electronics.

Whip and gun shot and can be done by a slappy percussion thingy

Their whole hornline was probably less than 15 feet in front of me multiple times in Denton, I really don't think that was the case. I'm not gonna try to prove anyone wrong or argue about it but I'd like to think I know enough to be able to tell if that was what they were doing. I've heard enough lot videos and talked to enough people to think their hornline was pretty solid top to bottom. Totally different beast than what Carolina Crown and Blue Devils were doing, but I really don't think they were using them for the sole purpose of boosting their sound or covering up a weak section. For effect purposes yes, but I have faith that if many panels of judges across the year said they had a top 2 hornline they had a top 2 hornline.