Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Interesting reading everyone else's thoughts.  MUCH more straight forward show musically this year, I think this might actually be my favorite musical show from them ever.   I picked up on some moments that didn't happen mic wise and some stutters but the energy and production value of what they do is top of the line.......

No weaknesses this year in terms of captions again.  I don't ever remember the color guard looking this good out the gate.  Brass gets a TON more full ensemble time this year and percussion is as good as ever.  I'm interested in where they go conceptually/big picture with it, not sure it's AS strong out the gate in that regard as it was the last few years but I'm buying what they're selling.  I really don't care where it finishes, give me more Thank You Scientist and Zappa!!!

• Like 7

Definitely a stronger defense than Crown's was.

Euph solo in the 2nd chart was painful...horrible intonation.

Interesting vizh package, though the feet need cleaning.

Very nice incorporation of the set piece...rather than dividing the field it really enhanced the vizh...got a bit of 2010 BD flashback there for a moment. Some risky moments marching up there, but they seemed to have it under control.

:Looks like the channeled Bob Fosse for some of the body movements.

I like the music better than last year as well.

Definitely a contender...far stronger chance of defending than Crown '14.

• Like 6

I held my breath when I saw the tuba's running down the ramp in the closer. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, patrick643 said:

Especially after that one snare slipped and fell earlier.  I really REALLY hope there are no incidents with them during the summer.

• Like 4

Awesome show!

For the record Bluecoats...

If you ever add a vocal soloist to your programs...

I. Will. Disown. You.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, patrick643 said:

Insane right? Wait till you see it live

• Like 1

Wow, I dug it. Honestly, minus the uniforms and big giant stage, this feels like a step back toward that late 90s/early 00s Bluecoats era. Great musical selections. The uniforms aren't doing it for me (and I liked last year's) but that's ok. Not sure the stage adds enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, but it has it's fun moments. Maybe I'm just partial to slides.

But the #1 thing to discuss on this show is how clean it is in June! This is a talented talented group. At least among the competition we've seen so far, no one's going to catch them. 

• Like 2

Just now, ouooga said:

Wow, I dug it. Honestly, minus the uniforms and big giant stage, this feels like a step back toward that late 90s/early 00s Bluecoats era. Great musical selections. The uniforms aren't doing it for me (and I liked last year's) but that's ok. Not sure the stage adds enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, but it has it's fun moments. Maybe I'm just partial to slides.

But the #1 thing to discuss on this show is how clean it is in June! This is a talented talented group. At least among the competition we've seen so far, no one's going to catch them. 

I'm wondering how that stage reads closer to the field level.  It seems like you really need to be at a pretty high box level in order to get the impact.  I wonder how it would read if the back was bumped up a couple feet or the front (just before the stairs and ramp) was pushed down a bit... making the whole thing a bit of a ramp.  Seems like they need to maintain that overhead clearance though for the drill to pass through.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NCWVUFAN said:

I agree, still need a good bit of work, esp the ballad.

Agreed! I'm digging what the Bluecoats are doing, but the ballad was such a let down. I love Grow Till Tall, but it felt rushed, unbalanced, and there were obvious issues with the soloist. But, I'm sure they'll work those things out. 

• Like 2