Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I just saw a bootleg of last night's theater performance. Wow, on top of it being a rough run, the theater crowd missed so many of the shows highlights. I really hope everyone gets a chance to see the show live. The difference between theater and live is much greater than I thought.

Yeah the rehearsal run video that's up gives us a great insight to all that was missing with complications and limitations in camera framing.

This show is REALLY good when everything is working.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Ha ha! Touche'! Yeah, I kind of am being a smartie.  (And I think it is 17 speakers.)

Why does anyone need 17 speakers? Maybe that's the issue with the synth levels. After seeing the rehearsal video, it seems a lot better in the rest of the show. The ballad is still a little too much, but I'm sure they'll correct it. As a mellophone player this show doesn't appeal to me musically but I do enjoy it as a whole package. LOVE the guard flags and outfits, they look absolutely wonderful. I'm looking forward to an incredible season and a battle for the gold!

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Use of contrast is what I am getting from it. 

I dunno... But their graphic design work is as slick as their show design.

• Like 2

Dissapointed with the percussion. Not consistent with their level of quality of the past several years. The drum tuning sounded weird for them and the writing seemed very rammy and unmusical. Not characteristic of Rarick's arranging. Sorry, just my honest observations.

2 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Why does anyone need 17 speakers? Maybe that's the issue with the synth levels. After seeing the rehearsal video, it seems a lot better in the rest of the show. The ballad is still a little too much, but I'm sure they'll correct it. As a mellophone player this show doesn't appeal to me musically but I do enjoy it as a whole package. LOVE the guard flags and outfits, they look absolutely wonderful. I'm looking forward to an incredible season and a battle for the gold!

For that you need to ask the sound engineers. But I hope you get to hear the show live. There really isn't a lot of synth. Not much gooey sub-woofer base. I saw the bootleg of the cinecast and I wondered where the synth bass was coming from. I think it was an issue of Tom Blair having a mic in a bad spot. In the rehearsal video I think what you are hearing isn't the synth but the horn line being amplified. They are facing the far corner and there is an array of 8 different types of microphones picking up the actual brass and amplifying it to the speakers. If you were to close your eyes you might swear there was a company front on the front sideline at FFF.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dans said:

Dissapointed with the percussion. Not consistent with their level of quality of the past several years. The drum tuning sounded weird for them and the writing seemed very rammy and unmusical. Not characteristic of Rarick's arranging. Sorry, just my honest observations.

Nothing to be sorry about. It's your opinion. I normally don't get upset with honest opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

After hearing/seeing the available videos...

Seems to me that the ballad solo would be perfect if it was dropped an octave.  There's a good bit of intonation stability issues with it where it is.  It's not bad playing... It's just that the tone of the instrument in that register isn't going to match the intonation of the accompaniment.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

For that you need to ask the sound engineers. But I hope you get to hear the show live. There really isn't a lot of synth. Not much gooey sub-woofer base. I saw the bootleg of the cinecast and I wondered where the synth bass was coming from. I think it was an issue of Tom Blair having a mic in a bad spot. In the rehearsal video I think what you are hearing isn't the synth but the horn line being amplified. They are facing the far corner and there is an array of 8 different types of microphones picking up the actual brass and amplifying it to the speakers. If you were to close your eyes you might swear there was a company front on the front sideline at FFF.

I will get to see it live at Nashville, so I'm very hopeful it is just the recording!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

After hearing/seeing the available videos...

Seems to me that the ballad solo would be perfect if it was dropped an octave.  There's a good bit of intonation stability issues with it where it is.  It's not bad playing... It's just that the tone of the instrument in that register isn't going to match the intonation of the accompaniment.

Get out of my head! I said the exact same thing to my wife about four hours ago! He is also picking up a cold horn, so it will tend to be flat.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2