Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Am I the only one who thinks the solo in the ballad should be played on a mello, not a euph? I just think the solo range is too high to be played on a euph, and also the mello has a brighter tone and thus is more characteristic of Jonsi's voice in the original recording. Just a thought.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Am I the only one who thinks the solo in the ballad should be played on a mello, not a euph? I just think the solo range is too high to be played on a euph, and also the mello has a brighter tone and thus is more characteristic of Jonsi's voice in the original recording. Just a thought.

And I mused about that, too. Great minds, and all that.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

3 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

No... You're not the only one.  I think a lot of us are postulating remedies for it.

I do hope that they try something else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Nothing to be sorry about. It's your opinion. I normally don't get upset with honest opinions, even if I don't agree with them.

Thank you for the civil response. This can be a tough crowd at times. Really have loved recent Bluecoats percussion and I'm a big fan of Rarick; I actually marched with his father in the Reading Buccaneers. Just not feeling this edition of Coats percussion. The corps is great though and I wish them well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dans said:

Thank you for the civil response. This can be a tough crowd at times. Really have loved recent Bluecoats percussion and I'm a big fan of Rarick; I actually marched with his father in the Reading Buccaneers. Just not feeling this edition of Coats percussion. The corps is great though and I wish them well!

I'm thinking that if they contend in percussion, it will be with the front ensemble and collective arrangement rather than with the field line only.

I don't think you are way off in your feelings... esp. if you are a percussionist and that is what you zoom in on.

35 minutes ago, dans said:

Dissapointed with the percussion. Not consistent with their level of quality of the past several years. The drum tuning sounded weird for them and the writing seemed very rammy and unmusical. Not characteristic of Rarick's arranging. Sorry, just my honest observations.

They are playing more difficult stuff than last year. But they are trying a completely new approach to how a battery stays centered on tempo and clean. It is a big adjustment but these are mostly vets. They'll figure it out.  Evidence is in the lot. When they work it out and it translates to the ensemble ... :babies:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

After hearing/seeing the available videos...

Seems to me that the ballad solo would be perfect if it was dropped an octave.  There's a good bit of intonation stability issues with it where it is.  It's not bad playing... It's just that the tone of the instrument in that register isn't going to match the intonation of the accompaniment.

As a euph player, especially on a concert euph, in my opinion, that's a very difficult register to play in and maintain especially without much intensity.

Edited by Blasian62
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blasian62 said:

As a euph player, especially on a concert euph, in my opinion, that's a very difficult register to play in and maintain especially without much intensity.

I am speculating here: I think the register choice and the euph were chosen to simulate Jonsi's falsetto, that is, the solo sounds like a euph falsetto.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Well. That was the end of part 1. How about show finish. Brace yourself for POWER SHOTS 1:55. I don't want anyone to get hurt.

• Like 3