Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Why are they still called the Bluecoats? I see no blue, nor coats. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

They are derived from the Canton Police Boys Club.  The reference is from the uniformed police officer... in a blue coat.

It's kind of like the Madison Scouts... who have usually but not always resembled the Boy Scouts of America in their appearance.  Or the Cadets, who lately do not (to the shock and awe of some) resemble the uniformed West Point Cadet.

Actual blue coats or not... they remain The Bluecoats... because "The Canton Police Boys Club... People"  just wouldn't be nearly as slick.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

And, continuing with the logic, why doesn't Crown wear crowns on their heads, why don't the Blue Devils have horns on their heads, why aren't the Cadets training to be officers, and why hasn't Santa Clara advised me about my stock portfolio?

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

Some thoughts on tonight's show:

It was a better run tonight than Thursday. Electronics were working much better tonight which definitely helped the production (other than what I was told was a human error for a couple of measures of the trumpet duet in the closer). That said, it wasn't their best run either, The full run-through this afternoon was better than tonight's run, as was the run last Tuesday that has been seen by thousands by now on the interwebs. In all fairness, I think this was only the sixth full run-through (there was none yesterday due to rain). As the reps keep coming, the show will get better.

There was a significant phasing issue tonight right off the bat between the front ensemble and the octet at the beginning of Psychopomp. Obviously, this is correctable. And there were some uncharacteristic guard miscues: a dropped cane as a guard member was getting off the prop (without stumbling) and timing issues with the flags during the first hit (which is a showcase moment for them and so all the more noticable). After that, things settled down. I don't think I need say anything about the euphonium solo as many others have commented on it. I will just say it needs to be fixed and I am confident it will be.

There were no slips on the prop. No falls. Everything was smooth as silk, like it had been throughout Spring Training

The sonic effect of the horn line being amplified while facing the number one side back corner during Grow 'Till Tall was much more effective tonight than in the Oil Can, but not as effective as I have heard in in practice runs. But ... it seems to me that it works better (so far) in outdoor venues.

Other than that. Zomby Woof and the Phsychopomp reprise kicked @$$.

So next stop, Hamilton, OH. I am betting things will keep getting better and better.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, skevinp said:

And, continuing with the logic, why doesn't Crown wear crowns on their heads, why don't the Blue Devils have horns, why aren't the Cadets training to be officers, and why hasn't Santa Clara advised me about my stock portfolio?

I think the Blue Devils have close to 80 horns or has something happened I don't know about?

• Like 2

Great show! Ballad needs to go away wholesale or vast majority. It is embarrassing and the euph solo- just NO!! There is not one beat of championship in that tune as of now.

• Like 2