Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

If you're going to deny the audience a face-peeling climax to your ballad that is craved by many in favor of a backfield climax into mics, it has to be done exquisitely and with perfect execution with regards to sound design. Don't foget, this is the crew that pulled off Electric Counterpoint in '15 and the pitch bend in '14 so I trust they know what they're doing and will make this wonderful. I think ultimately this will 'grow' into a special and memorable  moment.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ShouldveMarchedAgeOut said:

I think I like this better than Down Side Up. Only problem I have right now is the transitions into and out of the ballad. Seem abrupt.

My issue is with the way the show currently ends. The snake drill to box-formation hit on the Psychopomp reprise, and the descending tubas, is the moment of the year (so far) to me. But then it all just ends so quickly after that. Its like they have this massive GE moment, and then just go, "Ta da! We're done!" There needs to be one more extended build-up to a final hit, or a tension/release moment that sounds more like a real ending.

This is my first post after longtime lurking / loitering but wanted to note that Bloo's twitter today alluded to trying on new unis...anyone know what may be in store? 

Am myself hoping for false eyelashes on right eye a la Clockwork's Alex but probably not in the cards.

Big Bloo fan, love the show this year. Still looking for addition of those "wow" moments. Kept hoping for real transitions as they move through the set piece, in one color, out the other type things that may not be feasible given the limited space and time they have inside. But visually it feels like there is a built-in expectation for change as they go in and then emerge.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, alphabetmonkey said:

This is my first post after longtime lurking / loitering but wanted to note that Bloo's twitter today alluded to trying on new unis...anyone know what may be in store? 

Am myself hoping for false eyelashes on right eye a la Clockwork's Alex but probably not in the cards.

Big Bloo fan, love the show this year. Still looking for addition of those "wow" moments. Kept hoping for real transitions as they move through the set piece, in one color, out the other type things that may not be feasible given the limited space and time they have inside. But visually it feels like there is a built-in expectation for change as they go in and then emerge.

I think it was just a meme, I don't think they're actually trying on new uniforms 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alphabetmonkey said:

I thought that there was a clockwork orange vibe for a second too - but I don't think that's the intention - just Bob Fosse -

Clockwork Orange is very naughty and could make you a potty-mouth --

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alphabetmonkey said:

Of course, I don't know this but I see an opportunity when they go through the prop to perhaps add some color to the costume.  Just a thought. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

I love the show this year but I do have a few problems with it. Don't get me wrong here, I love their show, however I think that there are quite a few times where some simple changes would benefit the corps and how they would end up placing at finals. For the opener, the corps should just play the whole song (prelude) because it is a gorgeous song. It would be so much more emotional if the corps just played the song. And the ballad definitely needs some cleaning. It is really pretty but it feels like the trumpets overpowered the whole corps (which I don't have a problem with because I play trumpet). It does not blend well. And I think the uniforms are kind of stupid. I love the 2016 show uniforms because they couldn't have done some of the moves with the ramps and just the general movements they did with their normal uniform, but this year I see no reason for the uniforms to be simple clothes I can get at Walmart. I kept expecting the corps to come out from under the prop with the normal uniform which would have a been really cool and would be amazing in the general effect. But regardless of those things, they did put on a really nice show in Hamilton, OH which is where I got to see them live. Top three this year IMO.

posted from the DrumScorps app

In case anyone's interested and missed them, some photos of Bluecoats' performance in Pittsburgh start here.

• Like 2