Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

1 hour ago, PrfctTimeOfDay said:

I'm not sold....I might be if the mic'd pit didn't play non-sense over the winds when they turn back field. There's a balance issue once the turn happens. The video posted has NO pit. ..so all you hear is the winds, which for this particular ballad is what SHOULD be heard, not a bunch of runs by the front ensemble that is not needed and not true to the original piece.

For me those runs by the front ensemble (Marimbas especially) are the most emotional moment for me in the whole show. So when they turn and the horns are playing that gorgeous slow part and the marimbas then do this amazing run, i guess it is the contrast for me that is so powerful, somehow the front is capturing the pulse and energy of this whole movement (maybe even show) for me, and it catches me emotionally everytime.  I have been lucky enough to see their show live 9 times this season and see numerous rehearsals and i would agree that the electronics at this point have not been consistent; sometimes the front overpowers the horns, other times there has been no amplification, but each time it still is a powerful moment for me.  But i certainly understand everyone reacts differently to all these moments in what they want, wish or hope for.  Anyway it will be interesting to see how this all continues to evolve, but i am guessing they will keep the ballad to the back --though i am glad for the change in the soloist approach in placement and instrument.

Edited by Jast45
Spelling
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jast45 said:

For me those runs by the front ensemble (Marimbas especially) are the most emotional moment for me in the whole show. So when they turn and the horns are playing that gorgeous slow part and the marimbas then do this amazing run, i guess it is the contrast for me that is so powerful, somehow the front is capturing the pulse and energy of this whole movement (maybe even show) for me, and it catches me emotionally everytime.  I ahve been lucky enough to see there show live 9 times this season and see numerous rehearsals and i would agree that the electronics at this point have not been consistent; sometimes the front overpowers the horn other times there has been no amplification, but each time it still is a powerful moment for me.  But i certainly understand everyone reacts differently to all these moments in what they want, wish or hope for.  Anyway it will be interesting to see how this all continues to evolve, but i am guessing they will keep the ballad to the back --though i am glad for the change in the soloist approach in placement and instrument.

I'm glad you enjoy it, I cringe every time I hear it. For me it's not true to what I love about the original piece (it's slowness, it's raw melancholy feel) Those feelings for me, evaporate when something fast and unnuanced is introduced (the pit runs). . So that's where I'm coming from. 

I am glad that you can experience a visceral moment with those runs in there, but I can't :-(

• Like 3

The entire point of the front ensemble work at the turn around is to more fluidly introduce the battery under the prop, which is the real element of importance to the moment. Listen to the original; at the climax, there is tons of distortion and static/white noise, which is represented by the muffled drums under the stage. However, simply having the drums start playing without preamble would be one-dimensional and ineffective; the front ensemble adds color and melodic activity to a primarily harmonic ballad. In that moment, the front ensemble is the glue that ties the long tone pitched sonority of the brass to the new, rhythmic element of the battery by contributing both: pitched rhythmic activity. Without the front ensemble, the battery statement is ineffective; without the battery, the turn-around is ineffective; without the turn-around, the nod toward the original music is ineffective. 

My only complaint about the turn-around is that they could have set up a line of speakers on the opposite corner tarp, and had the live pickups come solely from the front-right corner while the brass plays to the back-left. That, in my opinion, would have been a perfect effect in terms of juxtaposition of what is seen vs. what is heard, as well as highlighting the left/right divide of the prop on the field and justifying the corner tarps (which to me still feel without any particular purpose).

Edited by pudding
  • Like 5

Great night to be Blooo..... Closing the gap and taking percussion!

• Like 5

We were down .7 last year at this point as well. Just sayin'

• Like 4

Bluecoats 2017 - David Whitfield (King Dut)

aYQuCiU.jpg

PC: Paige Meisenheimer 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, N425 said:

Have they said where they are rehearsing when they come to San Antonio?

http://bluecoats.com/events/

Just talked with a member tonight. "Many changes are coming up and we hope the crowd will love it"

• Like 3