Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

12 minutes ago, superOOk said:

Just talked with a member tonight. "Many changes are coming up and we hope the crowd will love it"

The changes they put in already are pretty cool.- love One Study even more.  I still feel they could milk the ballad for a little more emotion- could almost turn the guard member solo in the back corner to a duet-or at least part- the lyrics of the song kind of lend itself to that.  Would love just a blast of the last part of Grow til Tall right in my face.  Just my 1.5 cents of armchair design.

• Like 3

I still don't like the changes at the end of One Study. They feel tacked-on and ruin the flow for me.

My opinion: I love the energy and performance the Bluecoats put on, but not really digging the recycled beginning from last season where the entire corps flies out from behind the prop and does their dance thing. Also, the giant prop takes my attention away from all the other amazing things going on. Like I said, just my opinion.  Im curious to see what the finished product will be. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alzam81 said:

My opinion: I love the energy and performance the Bluecoats put on, but not really digging the recycled beginning from last season where the entire corps flies out from behind the prop and does their dance thing. Also, the giant prop takes my attention away from all the other amazing things going on. Like I said, just my opinion.  Im curious to see what the finished product will be. 

I enjoy the opening a lot more this year. Prelude is a much better beginning than clapping imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I enjoy the opening a lot more this year. Prelude is a much better beginning than clapping imo.

Prelude is the preshow, the opener is where the "run out from prop and do the dance routine" happens. It's very very close to last year in structure and effect, but I like this year more, though I'm biased because I really love the source music. 

Edited by defeldus2

They need to face the hornline to frontfield.  Theyre doing themselves a disservice imo.  Bloo has used all sorts of cool effects in years past and gotten lots of deserved credit for it.  The fans love it.  I think this year though they are some receiving negativity from fans (and to an extent, the judges it seems), shouldnt that be a sign that maybe it isnt a good idea?  Im not trying to tear down on this show, Im just posing a question.  I think they should drop the effect.  The micing doesnt seem necessary, as theyre backfield, and the backfield effect cant really be caught by the mics if theyre right in front of the hornline.  If they are using them for volume it just seems like cheating.  I just dont see any new effects created by it. Im already impressed by the show, but the ballad just seems like filler content between the opener and the closer right now.  Which hasnt been the case in years past. I think it would be far more effective if they dropped the mic's (teehee get it?) and kept them facing the front for the first few phrases, then turn around and blow the house down.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I think it would be far more effective if they dropped the mic's (teehee get it?) and kept them facing the front for the first few phrases, then turn around and blow the house down.  

agree - gradual layering, adding more to front field until it's a BD style slow push -- I really thought they were going to do something cool with the electronics, like a looping kind of thing with one phrase and then building upon it, playing live -- if you're just going to play the sound live through speakers, it's not working - honestly, a nice backfield echo/reverb effect would be more pleasing than hearing it through the amps -- 

This is a great example of electronics creating a barrier between the performers and the audience - we didn't come to hear you through a sound system - we came to hear YOU.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BoaDci said:

They need to face the hornline to frontfield.  Theyre doing themselves a disservice imo.  Bloo has used all sorts of cool effects in years past and gotten lots of deserved credit for it.  The fans love it.  I think this year though they are some receiving negativity from fans (and to an extent, the judges it seems), shouldnt that be a sign that maybe it isnt a good idea?  Im not trying to tear down on this show, Im just posing a question.  I think they should drop the effect.  The micing doesnt seem necessary, as theyre backfield, and the backfield effect cant really be caught by the mics if theyre right in front of the hornline.  If they are using them for volume it just seems like cheating.  I just dont see any new effects created by it. Im already impressed by the show, but the ballad just seems like filler content between the opener and the closer right now.  Which hasnt been the case in years past. I think it would be far more effective if they dropped the mic's (teehee get it?) and kept them facing the front for the first few phrases, then turn around and blow the house down.  

I totally agree with your main point, but that part in bold is a recipe for never taking risks, IMO. 

• Like 3