Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Random question are the Bluecoats drumline still playing Vortex? Also it seems like there's been an unusually low amount of drumline videos being posted.

Edited by Blasian62

I applaud what they are trying to accomplish in the ballad. I think it will turn out to be an exquisite moment when everything gets dialed in with the mix. If you've listened to the source music you'll have an idea of the feeling they are trying to put on the field. Pretty much every corps is doing the standard big ballad hit - this is something unique and potentially powerfully fresh for drum corps. This is not Hymn of Acxiom nor Let it Be Me etc, etc... there should not be a big company front or your usual ballad cliché ending. It's about capturing the spirit of the sublime effect of the source material. Look past your expectations for a ballad and try to let yourself experience the moment they are trying to create. There are plenty of face melting brass moments in the show

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

I applaud what they are trying to accomplish in the ballad. I think it will turn out to be an exquisite moment when everything gets dialed in with the mix. If you've listened to the source music you'll have an idea of the feeling they are trying to put on the field. Pretty much every corps is doing the standard big ballad hit - this is something unique and potentially powerfully fresh for drum corps. This is not Hymn of Acxiom nor Let it Be Me etc, etc... there should not be a big company front or your usual ballad cliché ending. It's about capturing the spirit of the sublime effect of the source material. Look past your expectations for a ballad and try to let yourself experience the moment they are trying to create. There are plenty of face melting brass moments in the show

I agree with you on the ballad. To really get the most out of what Bloo is doing out there with it, you have to listen to the source material.   Just another example of Doug Thrower's great work, along with the integration of electronics to produce such a unique sound.   The ballad may not be among the most beautiful of all time, but may certainly be among the most interesting, nonetheless.   

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Blasian62 said:

Random question are the Bluecoats drumline still playing Vortex? Also it seems like there's been an unusually low amount of drumline videos being posted.

Vortex has been replaced with the very new Zero G.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Alzam81 said:

My opinion: I love the energy and performance the Bluecoats put on, but not really digging the recycled beginning from last season where the entire corps flies out from behind the prop and does their dance thing. Also, the giant prop takes my attention away from all the other amazing things going on. Like I said, just my opinion.  Im curious to see what the finished product will be. 

I think this is minimizing what Bloo is really doing at the beginning. Respect your opinion and all, but those saying their show -- or the intro of their show -- is a rehash of last year are being very general in scope.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I think this is minimizing what Bloo is really doing at the beginning. Respect your opinion and all, but those saying their show -- or the intro of their show -- is a rehash of last year are being very general in scope.  

I see it much like what Blue Devils did over the last decade or so. They found a niche they enjoyed and could really exploit, and kept mining it for gold. I've been critical of the same-ness of BD but I retrospect I failed to understand and appreciate that what they were doing was fully intentional. 

It is challenging to be creative and inventive when you find a defined space you want to stay in. But great creative people understand that great creative ideas are born out of self-imposed limitations. 

What Bluecoats does next year will truly define their direction, imo.

• Like 3

Thought Bloo fans would appreciate this review of last night's show (July 17).  Many thanks to BrianL for this detailed and informative review.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166735-drums-across-kansas-el-dorado-ks-july-17/&do=findComment&comment=3650132

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, ohwiseone said:

I am seeing the show tonight at the TOC Broken Arrow tonight. 

I am excited to see the changes, and see this thing in person and not through a camera. 

Love to hear your review!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alzam81 said:

My opinion: I love the energy and performance the Bluecoats put on, but not really digging the recycled beginning from last season where the entire corps flies out from behind the prop and does their dance thing. Also, the giant prop takes my attention away from all the other amazing things going on. Like I said, just my opinion.  Im curious to see what the finished product will be. 

I do respect your opionion.  I believe you are probably not alone in having it.

Here's my opinion:

First, last year was last year.   I stopped trying to compare this year to last year after my first viewing of the show on opening day.   

If you just enjoy this show for what it is, HIGH ENERGY ENTERTAINMENT, and, BTW, an opener that is INCREDIBLE!  Having now seen all corps either live or on vid, Bloo is my favorite show of the season.    

The only apparent weakness was the ballad - of which they've nicely remedied.  And the closer?  Geez, Louise!

As for a "finished product", anything they do to this show is simply icing on that Jagged stage of theirs.   I'd put this show the way it is on top of anyone now or in another month. 

Don't be surprised if Bloo finishes on top tonight.  Even if they don't, I couldn't care less.   I'd enjoy this show no matter how the "judges" place it.

Enjoy!

• Like 8