Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

Well, I'll settle for crowd favorite.

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 4

On 7/17/2017 at 2:29 PM, Bruckner8 said:

The color changes as the turn is made. This is transitional and makes perfect sense. What no judge has yet grasped is that the synth is NOT PLAYING on the last chord!! That sub octave low Eb is created by the writing and Bloo's intonation. Yes, it is amplified (duh) but it is not processed in any way. 

The bottom line is that this event is designed for amplification, period. The hornline is amazing no matter what. Plenty of non-amped stuff to hear it, lol. 

As I said the other day, observing that this is true in the professional arts world too, a big part of winning over both judges/critics and fans is the right P.R. message.

I had a brief interaction with one corps' instructor in the past few years about something that I thought was really musically cool in their show; I learned from that communication that not once had the judges even mentioned what I had noticed. (For that matter, I briefly spoke with another corps director in the past few years. When I told that person I thought the corps should have been placed higher, the corps director (!) told me it was "all politics".) If you're not getting credit and you think it's the judges' mistake, you have to find a (non-condescending) way to get the judges to understand what you're doing.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, mingusmonk said:

Graham's comments in the description:

"This hit faces backfield because we wanted to try something different. Something new. Yes we could face front field but that's what makes us the Bluecoats. Willing to try the new, the different, the "never been done before". The hornline you hear through the speakers is live and is incredible because it's never been done before in a way like this. I love these people and I love what we do here. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoy!"

Yeah, that's how I've been taking that moment. But they were still struggling with it when I saw them live (twice) in June.

2 minutes ago, superOOk said:

Well, I'll settle for crowd favorite.

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I marched my age out year with the corps I marched with because they were a crowd favorite. I would march Bloo this year if I was young enough for the same reason. Great show, Bloo! I am 100% in your corner! 

• Like 4

I know the corps get tapes from the judges, but think how great it would be if a newsletter was published after every show and the judges wrote a critique of each performance.  Then we would at least know what the judges are thinking and seeing and maybe say, "Oh yeah, I can see your point of view now", or "You're crazy you bum! ;-)".

Sort of like these reality talent shows.  Whole new angle to Drum Corps.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Asguard said:

I know the corps get tapes from the judges, but think how great it would be if a newsletter was published after every show and the judges wrote a critique of each performance.  Then we would at least know what the judges are thinking and seeing and maybe say, "Oh yeah, I can see your point of view now", or "You're crazy you bum! ;-)".

Sort of like these reality talent shows.  Whole new angle to Drum Corps.

As long as Flo didn't produce it.

Too soon?

• Like 6

Thursday and Friday shows are going to be great! Gap will close between Blooo and Vanguard/Devs -- 
I get the sense Vanguard and Devs have maxed out - peaked -- Bluecoats have a lot more they can do still with this show -- just bringing the ballad front field alone! Ha ha!!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Polonius said:

Thursday and Friday shows are going to be great! Gap will close between Blooo and Vanguard/Devs -- 
I get the sense Vanguard and Devs have maxed out - peaked -- Bluecoats have a lot more they can do still with this show -- just bringing the ballad front field alone! Ha ha!!!

I feel just the opposite. BD knows it needs to strengthen the drill, and probably add a new ending. Unless Bloo changes the ballad and somehow twists the ending, I don't see how the judges will change their opinion of their show from a GE standpoint.