Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

What are some "wow" ideas that Blooooo could legitimately add for a finals push? We (at least I'm pretty sure) that the current ending isn't the true ending. It's too static.

Could they launch flags or rifles over the stage? 

Could they march into the stage and come out the other side in their traditional uni (they could do this by making it look as if they are marching in and right through but it's actually people already in uniform)...?

how about finishing the show with running down the ramp and then through several times in some kind of frantic kaleidoscope?

what are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

I don’t have them winning. BD moves too well and I don’t think Bloo can catch up and their show is so dependent upon movement. Jim (husband to Terri ) was right in that needs some work. This show will have to win on GE and by winning other captions. So my sure fire GE suggestion for finals…blow up the stage or fake it somehow… if nothing else, blast a ton of white light out of the stage while the drum line plays underneath during the ballad (then bring it back with a break apart for the end)

Sure it’s a gimmick and I’ll call them out on this cheap trick but DCI is a Cheap Trick, surrender

I would think about a uniform change when they come through the stage that last time, in one side in the current uniform, out the other side in something else. Couldn't be a full change, but a change in hat colors, flipping the suspenders over to reveal colors, something that makes people gasp at the end. 

My bet is they are planning on something like this already...

• Like 3

Sorry for the double post, I should have just posted this here, so I'm doing it now.

This is how I feel right now:

A new style / approach / gimmick, whatever you want to call it, is good for a championship. The hard part is the next X years, where the conservative nature of this community will naturally try to reign them back in.

Bloo has two main choices. It can 1) not give a #### about scores, and focus on producing the very best Blast! style show on a football field, or 2) revert back and design more for the sheets. I'm guessing it will be a mixture of both, but mostly #1. Bloo culture has never placed a huge importance on scoring. They are more concerned about making sure each member and the group as a whole is being the best version of themselves they can be. Everything comes after that.

As far as judging, I don't think judges are necessarily saying "Blast! is not DCI". I think what you are seeing (and going to see in the next decade) is a judging shift towards this new style, as long as the crowds keep reacting this way. It won't be a linear path. Both sides will tug and pull along the way, which means some years it's en vogue, and some years it's not.

I'm reminded of a famous quote that I feel is somewhat relevant:  

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajlemm said:

What are some "wow" ideas that Blooooo could legitimately add for a finals push? We (at least I'm pretty sure) that the current ending isn't the true ending. It's too static.

Could they launch flags or rifles over the stage? 

Could they march into the stage and come out the other side in their traditional uni (they could do this by making it look as if they are marching in and right through but it's actually people already in uniform)...?

how about finishing the show with running down the ramp and then through several times in some kind of frantic kaleidoscope?

what are your thoughts?

Would Bloo have to pay SCV royalties since Vanguard did exactly this decades ago except they used a tent and changed into white pants instead of the green ones they first wore in beginning of the show?

On 7/16/2017 at 9:11 PM, xandandl said:

The Cadets acknowledge your stick trick and raise you another.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and indoor

Count Regiment out, you past World Champions? No you will not. We match you and raise you one.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

• Like 1

So I saw the show Tuesday night at the TOC Broken Arrow show (Which was awesome, I hope they do one there again). 

This show is an absolute monster. Just completely insane, in the best way possible. I am hopeful they don't change the ending because the Psychopop reprise at the end is pure joy. Between that unison statement on the 50 (I was sitting second row on the 45, and I was just about blasted out of my seat), and the #### contras running full speed down that ramp the ending is just awesome. 

But more than that, you can tell the kids and having fun and the show is just a joy. The ballad and the Prelude work really well in person than on stream. Plus the new effects work really well, during the solos. 

The whole show is great. This is a medalist show, its my favorite show of the year. 

Whatever they are doing in Canton, they need to keep doing it. 

• Like 7

First off, I think the MM are doing a fantastic job with this show and are proving that no one can run, jump, and dance better than the Bluecoats.  With that said, I watched Bloo's show a few more times and noticed that the hornline does not play for more than three minutes of the show.  Plus given all the solo's, it got me wondering if they are scoring lower due to this lack of playing.

-Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

First off, I think the MM are doing a fantastic job with this show and are proving that no one can run, jump, and dance better than the Bluecoats.  With that said, I watched Bloo's show a few more times and noticed that the hornline does not play for more than three minutes of the show.  Plus given all the solo's, it got me wondering if they are scoring lower due to this lack of playing.

-Thoughts?

Huh? Could you be more specific on the "not playing more than 3 minutes of the show" thing? In the ballad alone they're playing for atleast a minute and a half 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

-Thoughts?

Time other brass lines. It's hard to believe it took all winter to learn so little of music. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Like 3