Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

10 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

It's still too early to determine what impact, if any, Bloo's show design is playing into the subjective psyche of the judging community.   It's interesting that you state that "Bluecoats have to adjust to the current sheets."   I believe, last year, Bluecoats did EXACTLY that.  Bloo did what the judges were begging for.   Now that Bloo has given it to them again, I wonder if the judges are turning their backs, somewhat, this time around.

Let's see how things shake out next week.  Could this year prove to be yet another paradigm shift in DCI?   Stay tuned...

The thing that Crown has done so efficiently is to create shows that can very clearly be judged cleanly by the dci sheets. That's neither a compliment nor a criticism. They have never been controversial, or edgy. They have always been clear, clean and direct in their execution. I cannot imagine Crown doing Mass or Down Side Up in a thousand shows. Or for that matter, most of the BD shows. They are clear in their mission and direction and judges get that very obviously, and reward them for it year after year.

Im not entirely sure the Blast approach will or can ever be considered Crown-like in its execution. As such, it is probably very rare the season in which they finish ahead of Crown.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The thing that Crown has done so efficiently is to create shows that can very clearly be judged cleanly by the dci sheets. That's neither a compliment nor a criticism. They have never been controversial, or edgy. They have always been clear, clean and direct in their execution. I cannot imagine Crown doing Mass or Down Side Up in a thousand shows. Or for that matter, most of the BD shows. They are clear in their mission and direction and judges get that very obviously, and reward them for it year after year.

Im not entirely sure the Blast approach will or can ever be considered Crown-like in its execution. As such, it is probably very rare the season in which they finish ahead of Crown.

To objectively judge the type of theatrical dance Bluecoats are doing this year would require a fair degree of training in theater and dance idioms, while the type of body visuals that Crown (and nearly everyone else) employs or the visuals with some dance elements that BD uses can be evaluated more easily by judges with a traditional DCI skill set. Crown-like body shapes and poses generate their effect mainly though ensemble visual - knee pops/bug squishing etc... while theatrical dance generates effect by conveying character, style, personality, storyline/thematic development etc... Perhaps coats designers stepped out too far by putting so many of the dance segments in blocks that beg the judges to evaluate them for ensemble visual execution and diluting the effect generated by the character/stylistic aspect. There is definitely high exposure to variance in the way they are presenting their movement.  Comparing judge response this year to last though, I think it's fair to question whether the judges have perhaps decided to take a harder line on the execution side with regards to the general effect of this type of movement.   

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

To objectively judge the type of theatrical dance Bluecoats are doing this year would require a fair degree of training in theater and dance idioms, while the type of body visuals that Crown (and nearly everyone else) employs or the visuals with some dance elements that BD uses can be evaluated more easily by judges with a traditional DCI skill set. Crown-like body shapes and poses generate their effect mainly though ensemble visual - knee pops/bug squishing etc... while theatrical dance generates effect by conveying character, style, personality, storyline/thematic development etc... Perhaps coats designers stepped out too far by putting so many of the dance segments in blocks that beg the judges to evaluate them for ensemble visual execution and diluting the effect generated by the character/stylistic aspect. There is definitely high exposure to variance in the way they are presenting their movement. 

I said the very same thing to Terri when we were out talking our daily walk. It's a character interpretation never designed to be unison as an ensemble. Fosse never designed choreography to be performed synchronized. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I said the very same thing to Terri when we were out talking our daily walk. It's a character interpretation never designed to be unison as an ensemble. Fosse never designed choreography to be performed synchronized. 

Looking at some of Fosse's work thats simply not true, but it's usually only with two or three people when its synchronized. It's a whole different story to do that with 80 or more people.

Just now, Brass Lover said:

Looking at some of Fosse's work thats simply not true, but it's usually only with two or three people when its synchronized. It's a whole different story to do that with 80 or more people.

Yes that was my point not as an ensemble. I thought I made that perfectly clear so that there would be no misunderstanding or confusion. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Yes that was my point not as an ensemble. I thought I made that perfectly clear so that there would be no misunderstanding or confusion. 

You did. I'm just kinda dense haha. Clarifying more for myself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

You did. I'm just kinda dense haha. Clarifying more for myself.

We're on the same page my friend 

• Like 1

dddpvmv.jpg

• Like 4