Favorite 2016 visual moments

As I reflect on the few live shows I got to go to and the webcasts I watched (mostly from high cam), I keep coming back to two particular moments that really stick in my mind because of their uniqueness (at least to me). Both from BD:

1) during the ballad climax when the color guard picks up two members and they swirl around, it felt like a "whirlpool" effect to me

2) the "storm" formation after the ballad near the end of the show (I don't know how BD described it, but that's how I saw it) and how it moves

Both of them are incredibly memorable for me in musical and visual content, and I looked forward to those two moments every time I had a chance to see BD perform.

I have several other favorite visual moments from other 2016 corps, but I don't want to list them all so others have a chance to chime in first.

• Like 1

Bluecoats hornline first appearance.

Madison carrying Judas during the drum break and the transition to the big company front hit afterward.

BD's twisting storm formation and the opening body movement (which I actually preferred without the ship prop).

Academy's wedding procession.

SCV had a lot of cool drill designs, the Crown Roxanne section was great, and the hanging at the end of Scouts was pretty powerful.

• Like 1

BD's double rifle work towards the end of their show.

SCV's battery moving through the DNA.

The last few sets of the Cadets opener...where they form the curvilinear "x". That form just comes out of nowhere. A bit Zingali-esque.

Bloo's silks, at rest and in motion.

• Like 1

When the flags first appear from behind the stage in Bloo's opener like a swarm of bees.

Bloo's color guard running up and down the 1/2 pipe then collapsing in a huddle during the rewind section, then reversing themselves.

The flag tosses and catches over he props in mid closer.

The last 90 seconds of Bloo's closer ... Revolving parallel lines in the spinning circle, the attack of the hornline, then guard on the slides ending with the flags thrown over the the props onto the field.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

Lots.

Crossmen's ingenious spectrum flags.

BD's "slow drip" front to finish the ballad. Perfect mix of visual and audio resolution.

SCV's flower bloom in the opener. Stunning.

Cavalier's simple but effective horn-to-the-box move on their first impact. Pow. Only drum corps gives you that.

Troopers' 0-to-0 company front in "Fix You."

• Like 1

To the above, I would add:

The thunderstorm section of SCV. PERFECT.

The preshow and opening of Blue Knights. Very surreal, almost sci-fi like.

In addition to all the Bluecoats stuff above, the first company front. Just sent a clear message, we are going to blow apart everything you ever thought you would see at a drum corps show.

Cavaliers throwback rifle drill.

Academy xylophone ghost graveyard scene. Probably the most ingenious percussion scene of the season.

In addition to the hurricane and whirlpool drills, the absolutely perfectly symmetrical opposing semicircles in the ballad climax still stuns me. Simple perfection.

• Like 2