$.02

So, I've been reading the debates concerning the future of the Cadets, the direction Phantom Regiment (my corps from the the mid 90's), and the direction that corps are moving themselves to. Do I like everything I see on the field? No. But on the same breath, when I marched in '97-'98, and the old-timers would show me videos from the late 70's, I was sometimes less than impressed.

The glory days are always the days when we marched. Just human nature to remember the emotions, good times, and coming of age that we all experienced when we were marching members. Same feelings that these kids get today.

The point of this nonsensical rambling is to say that the drum corps world is changing, but it is also staying the exact same as it has always been. Will the old-timers like where things are heading vs how it used to be? No, not as a rule. But guess what, I, along with 99% of the old timers will continue to pay for a ticket to go to shows at either a state of the art venue or some rickety country high school stadium. Why? To see the fire in the eyes of the performer, and to support the activity that shaped who each and every one of us are.

Just my $.02.

Worth what you paid to read it.

Oddly, speaking for myself and the other old timers with whom I spend finals week, we love the direction drum corps has taken and is taking. But we have alas been the odd balls.

• Like 4

Will the old-timers like where things are heading vs how it used to be? No, not as a rule. But guess what, I, along with 99% of the old timers will continue to pay for a ticket to go to shows at either a state of the art venue or some rickety country high school stadium.

Just my $.02.

Worth what you paid to read it.

You're delusional if you really think that 99% of the "Old Timers" (T-Rex's) are paying money to watch "Marching Broadway Musical Theater" on a football field. It's mostly high school and college marching band kids and their parents. Former "Old School" Corps members and fans are so turned off at the current state of the art that they're not going anywhere near a show...........

• Like 3

You're delusional if you really think that 99% of the "Old Timers" (T-Rex's) are paying money to watch "Marching Broadway Musical Theater" on a football field. It's mostly high school and college marching band kids and their parents. Former "Old School" Corps members and fans are so turned off at the current state of the art that they're not going anywhere near a show...........

Or we just go and tailgate with our friends. Watch what we want to see, drink what and where we want to and have some stadium nachos just one more time, for Auld Lang Syne. Honestly, I have been doing this already for decades anyway, but now I have an excuse.

You should speak for yourself. Some of love seeing the progress made and the incredible brass playing. Kids on the field these days are doing things musically I would not have dreamed of being able to do back when I marched. My corps alumni association does talk about drum corps back in the day, but they don't want to see drum corps like that....it has already been done.

One of the more exciting things is seeing corps do new stuff. I remember being SO disappointed going to my first live show to see that two or three corps were doing the same tunes I had already seen on video tape. Rarely did the second time around come out better than the first.

I think if you would have marched in a corps you would have a chance of seeing the activity differently.

• Like 2

As I said before, just my $.02 and worth what you paid to read it. I'm not going to get angry at an activity that meant so much to me when I marched. On the field, It's not the same as it used to be, and that's okay. The kids are still busting ### every day to put out a show they can feel proud of, even if it's not "old school" drum corps. I will always support that.

And yes, I'm a former "Old School" member and I go to as many shows as I can every summer, and I wish I could go to more...

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 1

False

Some are. Some aren't. It was the same way in your era. So if you hate it, buhbye

• Like 4

What is "old school" ??? pre-DCI, 70's, 80's, 90's, last century, this century. DCI is approaching 50 years which is double the lifetime of current marchers.

There are many styles within those decades from humorous VK, to wild Bridgemen still doing color-pre's, to the current styles.

There is even an Old School BD so very different from current Chandlerisms from Concord or Denver Blue Knights.

I've always like the diversity although I have had my preferences, just like everyone else has their's. I hope DCI does not become cookie-cutter corps only.

• Like 1