Bluecoats 2016 horn hit question

I have been reviewing the source material comprising this past year's Bluecoats' show, but can't find the music with the big, ominous horn hits that followed the hip tosses at the beginning of the show. They returned to this theme at the very end when things got kind of hectic.

Can someone point me to this music? Many thanks.

I have been reviewing the source material comprising this past year's Bluecoats' show, but can't find the music with the big, ominous horn hits that followed the hip tosses at the beginning of the show. They returned to this theme at the very end when things got kind of hectic.

Can someone point me to this music? Many thanks.

Heat of the Day by Pat Metheny.

Heat of the Day by Pat Metheny.

Thanks. I didn't listen long enough. What a track.

Edited by CDUB

Thanks. I didn't listen long enough. What a track.

That's one of the things that made me LOVE this show musically. For those who are familiar with the piece and/or the Crossmen 2002 arrangement of Heat of the Day, there's the great build up to what would be a great opening impact. But then they fake you out and take it to a short percussion break and come back in with a great impact from a totally different part of the original chart. When I first saw the show in theaters at the tour premier, I was like "here it comes!"-"wait...what?"-"ooooh, cool!" Then at Allentown there were a bunch of people around me who must have been seeing the show for the first time who expressed audible disappointment at the fake-out.

That's one of the things that made me LOVE this show musically. For those who are familiar with the piece and/or the Crossmen 2002 arrangement of Heat of the Day, there's the great build up to what would be a great opening impact. But then they fake you out and take it to a short percussion break and come back in with a great impact from a totally different part of the original chart. When I first saw the show in theaters at the tour premier, I was like "here it comes!"-"wait...what?"-"ooooh, cool!" Then at Allentown there were a bunch of people around me who must have been seeing the show for the first time who expressed audible disappointment at the fake-out.

I agree--and it is yet another way they presented their theme--Down Side Up--they took our eexpectations and thwarted them from when the impact would be to what a Ballad could be, to Drums (clapping) brining in the corps, even uniforms, and total corps dancing, electronic etc--they took the predictable parts of a drum corps show and turned it --well like the title of hteir show says. Loved it.

• Like 1

I agree--and it is yet another way they presented their theme--Down Side Up--they took our eexpectations and thwarted them from when the impact would be to what a Ballad could be, to Drums (clapping) brining in the corps, even uniforms, and total corps dancing, electronic etc--they took the predictable parts of a drum corps show and turned it --well like the title of hteir show says. Loved it.

You know what show the 2016 Bluecoats reminded me of? Blue Devils 2012. Both revolutionary shows presented in very different ways.
  • Like 2

Totally with you there. Then they bring it back and hit that big impact in the closer. I actually laughed in the theater during the tour premiere when they did that - very clever.

Mike