Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

At least this winter, like many corps, many BD and SCV homers have been relatively quiet on DCP.

It leads me to wonder. Back East where I live there have been daily media reports of tragic weather conditions in Northern California, floods in San Jose (not far from Santa Clara city), etc.  Has this winter's weather negatively impacted camps for SCV's 2 corps, BD A&B, Mandarins or up in Oregon and Seattle?  I imagine the locals might be affected and the out of towners might have been diverted to a different airport or two. Just wondering not inciting.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 10:28 PM, DrumManTx said:

Listening to the 2012 studio recording at the moment (THANK YOU FOR DOING THESE BD), first of all like all studio recordings you miss so many details of the music books.  

The closer of that show musically is off the charts awesome, percussion writing is out of this world awesome.  When a ScoJo book lines up and it gets clean there is no stopping that percussion section.  And of course the Apollo 13 opener is one of the best things on the field in the modern era IMO.  

one of the few shows where my jaw dropped pretty much the whole time on a first viewing in june

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

one of the few shows where my jaw dropped pretty much the whole time on a first viewing in june

I really get frustrated at the people who bash that show (Crown fans).  I loved that show.  The trumpet duet with the double c was beautiful.

19 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I really get frustrated at the people who bash that show (Crown fans).  I loved that show.  The trumpet duet with the double c was beautiful.

That show, like the 2014 show for some people seem to be looked down upon because people do/did not understand the concept.

Dadaism, as well as the wonderful film world of Fellini are so bizarre to some, and didn't allow them to enjoy the show.

Personally, I like and respect the fact that those shows made people think, and hopefully do some research.

I sat with a very good friend after finals who was just trashing BD 2014. I lent him my copies of Fellini films, and encouraged him to watch others that I did not have in my possession and he now LOVES that show, because he gets it now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

That show, like the 2014 show for some people seem to be looked down upon because people do/did not understand the concept.

Dadaism, as well as the wonderful film world of Fellini are so bizarre to some, and didn't allow them to enjoy the show.

Personally, I like and respect the fact that those shows made people think, and hopefully do some research.

I sat with a very good friend after finals who was just trashing BD 2014. I lent him my copies of Fellini films, and encouraged him to watch others that I did not have in my possession and he now LOVES that show, because he gets it now.

The main reason I love BD.  I have NEVER liked a BD show during the season, but once the season is done and I give the show a few more watches they really grow on me.  Every BD show since Chandler has arrived has been incredible (Although, personally I didnt like 2013.  I understand it and it makes sense, it just lacked the enjoyment factor for me).  The Blue Devils are just on another level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

The main reason I love BD.  I have NEVER liked a BD show during the season, but once the season is done and I give the show a few more watches they really grow on me.  Every BD show since Chandler has arrived has been incredible (Although, personally I didnt like 2013.  I understand it and it makes sense, it just lacked the enjoyment factor for me).  The Blue Devils are just on another level.

Chandler is wonderful, and a great person. There was a definite change in their guard when he took over in 1990.

Ramiro Barrera did a great job as program coordinator from 1992 through 2004, but when Chandler took over complete control, the shows started having an insane amount of depth.

I've had the chance of seeing virtually every show in person or on video of theirs since 1971, and other than 2 shows-1982 and 1987, I have loved everything they've done.

I'm sure that 2017 will not disappoint.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I've had the chance of seeing virtually every show in person or on video of theirs since 1971, and other than 2 shows-1982 and 1987, I have loved everything they've done.

Im rather jealous.

10 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Im rather jealous.

I'd encourage you to get their mobile app and pay the $5 ish a year. Tons of great stuff on there. Not performance videos but TONS of audio and other stuff

• Like 1

i have plenty BD shows in my possession but that app is worth getting!  I am going to try and see them Sunday but life has thrown me some curve balls lately.  I did get approved for SSI though after only 6 months!  

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Blue Devils on their 60th Anniversary Year.

The Blue Devils organization are the Gold Standard in Drum Corps. 3 Corps.. all quite good. I wished there were 200 Drum Corps organizations as well run as their Drum Corps organization has been run.... with 3 Corps being run in each Organization too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4