Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

5 hours ago, Narrow said:

The music sounds incredible. The sections of the show are so diverse and different I'm really interested to see how they make it all come together on the field.

I agree 100 percent.  Great music, and if the visuals tie it all together.... look out!!!

• Like 2

To my fellow Blue Devils fans on this thread, with the 2017 season on the way...

As we all know, you can't spell "Best Drum Corps Ever" without the letters "BD"!!!!  :thumbup::biggrin:

• Like 5

7 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Seriously cannot get enough of this ballad.  Are those written solos?

You will know when the season starts. If you hear a different solo each night, then it's improvised or somewhat improvised. depends on how much changes.  If it's the same solo each night, it's written out (or taught by rote) and memorized.  As a professional trombonist (classical and jazz) I am very impressed with the trombone solo in the BD ballad. Nicely played with some "doodle-tongue" aspects applied, great style, and good range.  My guess is that the solo will not change much and will be memorized. Maybe from night to night the soloist will modify a few things here and there.  We shall see.  The entire music book for BD is really wonderful.  I can't wait to see it on the field.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You will know when the season starts. If you hear a different solo each night, then it's improvised or somewhat improvised. depends on how much changes.  If it's the same solo each night, it's written out (or taught by rote) and memorized.  As a professional trombonist (classical and jazz) I am very impressed with the trombone solo in the BD ballad. Nicely played with some "doodle-tongue" aspects applied, great style, and good range.  My guess is that the solo will not change much and will be memorized. Maybe from night to night the soloist will modify a few things here and there.  We shall see.  The entire music book for BD is really wonderful.  I can't wait to see it on the field.

This show is so good.  The trumpet lick at 7:03 is AWESOME.

• Like 2

Curious about this video, linked below. I stumbled across it while in a YouTube rabbit hole and noticed 2 of BD 2016 GE moments in the first 30 second and a whole lot of BD throughout. I found the staff list for 2016 and didn’t recognize or see any BDers credited but this may have been from 2015 as it was uploaded in January 2016. There are a lot of other drum corps names on staff, never heard of this Music for All before but it looks huge

Opening Session: Color Guard Faculty Performance (music for all)

On 6/7/2017 at 7:40 AM, Fran Haring said:

To my fellow Blue Devils fans on this thread, with the 2017 season on the way...

As we all know, you can't spell "Best Drum Corps Ever" without the letters "BD"!!!!  :thumbup::biggrin:

Well, apparently you can't spell it without SCV either...rut roh :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Well, apparently you can't spell it without SCV either...rut roh :)

But two of those letters are in small caps.  LOL

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

But two of those letters are in small caps.  LOL

Lol - after typing that, I actually thought this would be your response!

Anyway, really looking forward to hearing BD's show this year (and everyone else's too)!  Can't wait for the movie event to get here and kick off the season!!

• Like 1