Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Fascinating. What that reminds me most of, more than anything, is the lights-out video from 1999. Not the whole "finishing the show with the power out" bit, but how...unfinished it sounds.

If you go back and watch the lights-out vid, and watch the finals run after it, it's bloody amazing (a) how good they sounded already at the start of '99, and (b) how much of the show they still had to add in. Rewrites of the opening, the up-tempo bits bookending "Adios Nonino," the entire bit with the quads on the djun djuns in the closer, the tag on the end of the closer...hearing the two in context, the early-'99 video sounds incredibly incomplete, even by BD standards.

And similarly, it sounds like they have a lot to add here, too. There's pretty great bones on the thing already, to be sure, but there's like a whole 'nother section of the closer to add on, to my ears. Probably some other bits, too.

Which, if they do with it what they did in '99...there goes #18.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Fascinating. What that reminds me most of, more than anything, is the lights-out video from 1999. Not the whole "finishing the show with the power out" bit, but how...unfinished it sounds.

If you go back and watch the lights-out vid, and watch the finals run after it, it's bloody amazing (a) how good they sounded already at the start of '99, and (b) how much of the show they still had to add in. Rewrites of the opening, the up-tempo bits bookending "Adios Nonino," the entire bit with the quads on the djun djuns in the closer, the tag on the end of the closer...hearing the two in context, the early-'99 video sounds incredibly incomplete, even by BD standards.

And similarly, it sounds like they have a lot to add here, too. There's pretty great bones on the thing already, to be sure, but there's like a whole 'nother section of the closer to add on, to my ears. Probably some other bits, too.

Which, if they do with it what they did in '99...there goes #18.

I totally agree. This is one of the most incomplete preview day recordings I've heard from them. And they sound great already. 

Last year's show went on to the field pretty complete for the most part already, but the ballad and closer went through many, many changes throughout the season. And that's just the music that I'm talking about, I'm sure a lot changed visually too. 

Some of that park and blow is probably going to stay there, but I bet other sections of the park and blow are going to change into drill. Kinda like the changes that the 2015 closer went through 

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

Show is very well done, as Blue Devils always make it, but after seeing that video, too many park and blow moments for me.   Park and blow is so overdone (always by the BD too) and overrated.

Oh god please not another summer of "they don't march enough" comments from the anti-BD folks.

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

Also, some of the parts sound like last year's Bluecoats show...the single trumpet and mello swaying "lazy jazz" solo over the ensemble......imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess. 

Pretty sure BD is not trying to imitate Bloo. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Oh god please not another summer of "they don't march enough" comments from the anti-BD folks.

Pretty sure BD is not trying to imitate Bloo. 

Don't fall for it lol. I almost responded but chose not to take the bait. BD fans will never win this argument. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Don't fall for it lol. I almost responded but chose not to take the bait. BD fans will never win this argument. 

BD pioneered that sort of ballad anyway...but you know...its whatever....

• Like 4

Just now, BoaDci said:

BD pioneered that sort of ballad anyway...but you know...its whatever....

People called Bloo's ballad last year "old school"  for a reason. This jazzy, groovy style ballad is in BD's DNA. And with this being an anniversary show, it's a very fitting ballad for them

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

People called Bloo's ballad last year "old school"  for a reason. This jazzy, groovy style ballad is in BD's DNA. And with this being an anniversary show, it's a very fitting ballad for them

I honestly love BD's style of ballad. In every single way (well, a little less screaming trumpet, but other than that. At least it isn't the whole show) 

Edited by kinetic inferno11

I can see what people are saying about the Bluecoats connection, the abundance of soloists on a raised platform screaming/soaring over the rest of the corps and the park and bark style that's really old school.  They're not crazy........I honestly thought the same thing myself when I first saw it.  I don't see why the BD crowd is getting so offended by that.  lol  It's not like they're being compared to some crappy show everyone hates.  They're in good company with that comparison.  :)

And I know they're probably not copying or were inspired by it, just acknowledging the pretty obvious similarities.  

Looking forward to a good angle of this show.  

Edited by DrumManTx