Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

I agree with the theory that the show may be designed to "morph," as it goes along, and that may be for both concept and competitive reasons. My guess is that, after last year, they knew there were likely to be several other corps putting out much stronger packages, so perhaps the element of surprise is going to be a big factor here. 

Bluecoats didn't really change their show much last year, just a bit of refinement, and they look to have a very complete initial design again. The SCV show also comes across as being "set," with a smaller percentage of improvements to come.

So how do you really grab the attention of the judges? By giving them something fresh each week. And they have the talent to do something that ambitious.

Just a guess, but the design team is so smart, and with the music program seeming to be so far ahead of the visual right now, it makes more sense than them just not being prepared. Last year they had that ocean thing planned from the beginning, so I'll bet they have big chunks of the show in the can, ready to go on a weekly basis.

• Like 6

OMG! I just finished watching Metamorph from Stanford on Youtube. Officially I am Obsessed with this show!!!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I have a theory. Seeing the show on videos and hearing everyone thoughts. I know that the show (Metamorph) is just bones right now. It's evident its an unfinished product with lots more visuals to be added. As it seem not small addition this year as they normally add liite by little changes throughout their shows yearly that by August we get the complete product that grows. This year year seem rather there will be more of big changes with this show throughout this season. My theory is that it might be INTENTIONAL to have some of the visuals unfinished on such a large scale, in mostly places as place holders that is still enough to carry them. Or IS THIS JUST TYPICAL BD WAY YEARLY? but fitting with the theme as they go along we will see a morphing of the product as the show move along within the season ? Does anyone think its intentional with a lot of the visual unfinished in a big way to morphed throughout before our eyes ? And if so, wouldn't that be clever! I think they(drill writers) already knows what drills they going to put into different places of the show and then some things will Organically be added..

Also a little concern as well because I wouldn't want them to wait too long to start adding... and there's a number of concerns with that; seeing how intense and competitive this year already is. Any thoughts anyone ???

Edit: Ps: I am not worried, cause I know the capabilities of the organization, Its BD of course duh! Its just a litte concern.

Totally. Personally since maybe 2010 I've known not to trust my feelings about a BD  show in June. We just haven't seen the show; we've seen the blueprint. 

I love BD's approach—like watching rock candy grow all summer.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I haven't really noticed until recently due to bad video quality but is anyone else hearing the reprise of the ballad trumpet solo in the closer? 

I already transcribed it.  Its one of my favorite moments.  In case anyone cares notes are. 

D E C D G E C C D GGGGGGGGG

Its a toughie, but if you got the chops....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flammaster said:

I just want to say I feel terrible for the things I have said and wish I could take them all back.  I thought I was tolerant and found out I could get just as worked up.

I have had a horrible weekend trying to figure out why I do these things and hurt the ones I love.

my most sincere apologies.

No worries.  I understand why you were upset and did not take your words literally.  Thanks for setting a good example by taking responsibility for your actions and clarifying your words.  Maybe someone else will learn from that example.

• Like 3

Watched two runs from yesterday on youtube.  It did seem like a rougher run to me.  Amps didn't seem to be loud enough and the run as a whole lacked clarity.  I think SCV is good and has improved, but I think BD was also a part of the gap shrinking from yesterday.

• Like 3

Anyone else feel they're using too much synth on that hit in their opener? Just seems a bit overkill 

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Anyone else feel they're using too much synth on that hit in their opener? Just seems a bit overkill 

Well with that question you get dangerously close to the question of how much synth is too much?

• Like 1