Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

9 hours ago, btown50 said:

I have always noticed that BDCG is never really putting out a full package. If you see their shows especially in the early season, you can see them just walking or running to their spots just standing their and not doing nothing. So I really don't judge BDCG like they should be judged because I know they are not putting the complete package on the field. Scott, TJ and the team are masterminds at what they do.  

One thing that MUST be discussed regarding BDCG this year: the flag writing during that ballad. It's phenomenal, and extremely hard to pull off as an ensemble, really full of the weird subtleties that distinguish Very Good colorguards from Great ones, but accordingly, you have to watch closely. (One thing YT show videos are really not helpful for: watching guards. Ground level videos help—but the best thing would be more CG fans posting from the lot, like brass/drumline fans). Anyway: lots of interesting body going on. But the difficulty is all so lyrical, and BD has such a natural sense of style, that they're already making it look easy. 

You can tell the guard is in love with that work, which is the best part. 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

One thing that MUST be discussed regarding BDCG this year: the flag writing during that ballad. It's phenomenal, and extremely hard to pull off as an ensemble, really full of the weird subtleties that distinguish Very Good colorguards from Great ones, but accordingly, you have to watch closely. (One thing YT show videos are really not helpful for: watching guards. Ground level videos help—but the best thing would be more CG fans posting from the lot, like brass/drumline fans). Anyway: lots of interesting body going on. But the difficulty is all so lyrical, and BD has such a natural sense of style, that they're already making it look easy. 

You can tell the guard is in love with that work, which is the best part. 

Thank you thank you thank you.  We're starting to see those guards with much more difficult work cleaning and prefecting, passing others who obviously don't. 

• Like 2

In the various angles now on YT, you can REALLY see how many spots are being held for future additions. If 75% of the show changes by finals, I wouldn't be surprised. It is currently as perforated as swiss cheese.

All that running the horns do through the doorways in the centers of the stairs near the end is a perfect setup for a costume change.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

In the various angles now on YT, you can REALLY see how many spots are being held for future additions. If 75% of the show changes by finals, I wouldn't be surprised. It is currently as perforated as swiss cheese.

All that running the horns do through the doorways in the centers of the stairs near the end is a perfect setup for a costume change.

Thats what I said.  I feel like they have a coloring page, and they only have half of their crayon box so they cant finish the page.  When the other half of that crayon box is found though...I cant wait to be at the art gallery.

• Like 5

I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on BDCG during the ballad, can I just say one more thing? Any of the elite guards can give you fast, aggressive, complicated flag writing, and BD's work during the ballad isn't exactly slacking in that department, either. But I think what's most impressive is that they do it so delicately. Pulling off tricky work like that is it's own feat, especially with those difficult entries and the way everything builds. But they're performing it so elegantly, on top of that, and really matching the relaxed groove of the music—that's, like, next-level. That's so much more meaningful to me than just being excessively fast and difficult. It's what guard should be about. 

Okay I'm done. :) 

• Like 9

Any chance a guard tech or instructor can fill us non-Guardies in, with regards to  the subtleties and techniques to look out for in a top rated Color Guard? TY.

Hey...newbie here but long time reader of these fantastically polite forums. I'm a guard person but that was after I played trumpet and spent one year on a drumline (in H.S.). I watched BDCG while up at Stanford and will be at Pasadena for warmups and agree they make it look so effortless. I always get good close up vids "from the lot" -- if I get any of the above mentioned parts of the show and figure how to share, I will. BTW nice to meet you all. LOL 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Hey...newbie here but long time reader of these fantastically polite forums. I'm a guard person but that was after I played trumpet and spent one year on a drumline (in H.S.). I watched BDCG while up at Stanford and will be at Pasadena for warmups and agree they make it look so effortless. I always get good close up vids "from the lot" -- if I get any of the above mentioned parts of the show and figure how to share, I will. BTW nice to meet you all. LOL 

We can tell you're new when you call DCP "polite" :laughing:

Welcome!!! 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Welcome!!!

59 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We can tell you're new when you call DCP "polite" :laughing:

Welcome!!! 

LOL it cought my attention too.. how "polite" lol