Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Hey...newbie here but long time reader of these fantastically polite forums. I'm a guard person but that was after I played trumpet and spent one year on a drumline (in H.S.). I watched BDCG while up at Stanford and will be at Pasadena for warmups and agree they make it look so effortless. I always get good close up vids "from the lot" -- if I get any of the above mentioned parts of the show and figure how to share, I will. BTW nice to meet you all. LOL 

WELCOME!!! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

Hey...newbie here but long time reader of these fantastically polite forums. I'm a guard person but that was after I played trumpet and spent one year on a drumline (in H.S.). I watched BDCG while up at Stanford and will be at Pasadena for warmups and agree they make it look so effortless. I always get good close up vids "from the lot" -- if I get any of the above mentioned parts of the show and figure how to share, I will. BTW nice to meet you all. LOL 

Hi.  

• Like 2

Brass guys help me out.  LOVE the ballad, but it seems like the main melody is done strictly by soloists, which is fine, but it seems to get drowned out by the rest of the corps as they blast the harmonies. I come away wishing more lead trumpets were on that melody. Maybe it's just the audio quality of the videos I've seen?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

Brass guys help me out.  LOVE the ballad, but it seems like the main melody is done strictly by soloists, which is fine, but it seems to get drowned out by the rest of the corps as they blast the harmonies. I come away wishing more lead trumpets were on that melody. Maybe it's just the audio quality of the videos I've seen?

You're not the only one. Same thing happens in the closer, it's a jumbled mess right now. I'm sure it'll be tweaked for clarity later

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Having seen their show in-person 3 times within the last 24 hours, I could barely hear any soloist throughout the show. Now, that was all fine and dandy for me because there was a wall of sound coming my way, but at the moment the entire corps' projection and volume is just too good to allow the solos to come through.

So you know, silver linings? I'm sure they'll dial in the mic situation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

From the audio I have heard, by the time the corps proper comes in at full volume they are the ones carrying the melody (specifically the chorus of the song, as the full melody was introduced by the trumpet soloist at the very beginning of the song). By this time the soloists' contributions are ornamental. And awesome, as is the whole piece, and the whole show. I think the design is intentional. 

Edited by jaylogan

It is hard to believe the first judged show was just last week.  

Every year, the time before the corps finally gets to compete with all the other top corps, drives me nuts.   Anyone else?

For now, I hope they keep ahead of the red team.

7 hours ago, jaylogan said:

From the audio I have heard, by the time the corps proper comes in at full volume they are the ones carrying the melody (specifically the chorus of the song, as the full melody was introduced by the trumpet soloist at the very beginning of the song). By this time the soloists' contributions are ornamental. And awesome, as is the whole piece, and the whole show. I think the design is intentional. 

Musically I agree that the solo is ornamental by the time the full ensemble enters. 

Visually, though, the only dynamic thing happening on the field by that time is the flag feature; and the flag line's work is picking up on more stuff from the solo and the rhythm section than from the rest of the brassline. I mean, the flag feature doesn't even start until the soprano soloist does—they're tightly linked.

It of course works and is beautiful either way, but when you can hear the soloist, the emotional impact visually and musically is much better. I really wanna be able to hear that solo! 

Edited by saxfreq1128