Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

Posting this just so we can keep track: as full as we can assemble a list of previous-championship shout-outs in this year's show. I'm writing down as many as I can identify (which is definitely not near all of them), and will add others as people point them out (and will actually update them, unlike the vanishing Uniform Database updater).

1976: Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor cadence to open
1977:
1979: La Suerte de Los Tontos in the opener
1980: La Suerte
1982:
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997:
1999:
2003: Blue Rondo a La Turk snippet in the opener
2007:
2009:
2010: Mirrors on the stairs
2012: visibly hanging jackets under the stairs
2014: that brass feature in the closer
2015: does the use of Rihanna here count as a shout-out to the Kpop section?

Also: can anyone identify what the feature right after "Blue Rondo" is in the above video? It sounds incredibly familiar, but I can't place it.

Thanks for this

Posting this just so we can keep track: as full as we can assemble a list of previous-championship shout-outs in this year's show. I'm writing down as many as I can identify (which is definitely not near all of them), and will add others as people point them out (and will actually update them, unlike the vanishing Uniform Database updater).

1977:
1982:
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997:
1999:
2007:
2009:

Also: can anyone identify what the feature right after "Blue Rondo" is in the above video? It sounds incredibly familiar, but I can't place it.

2007: The colorguard members with "wings" at the very end of the show.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Let's see...

White props (again) ... check.
Mirrors (again) ... check.
Props used as "closets" for uniform changes (again) ... check.

Groundbreaking.

whiplash drill (again)

running down ramps (again)

crown formation (again) 

Groundbreaking critique.  

Every corps has a style. 

• Like 7

1977:
1982:
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997:
1999:
2007: wings in guard in closer (h/t Cadevilina Crown)
2009:

Do you mean the "As Time Goes By" (1997) snippet?

• Like 1

1977:
1982:
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997:
1999:
2007:
2009:

Not really music, and I may be reaching, but I'm pretty sure they have a 2013 moment @6:10 in this video with the choreography and the synth fx. 

2017 closer is also very mishima-like ala 2016's closer.

Edited by gabe211

1 hour ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Let's see...

White props (again) ... check.
Mirrors (again) ... check.
Props used as "closets" for uniform changes (again) ... check.

Groundbreaking.

You're "that guy"...you know, the one that goes to a Broadway or Las Vegas show and spends the whole time talking about what happens backstage, instead of enjoying and absorbing the actual performance. You probably think Hamilton wasn't groundbreaking because they used sets and costumes like every other musical...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Do you mean the "As Time Goes By" (1997) snippet?

Possibly? Doesn't quite sound like "As Time Goes By," though...duet between trumpet and mello, happening like immediately after the Blue Rondo snippet.

Then again, I'm also approximately infinitely more familiar with the original version of "As Time Goes By" than I am with the '97 version, so it's possible that I'm being thrown by virtue of it not being a guy with a piano.

Think the batwings appeared for the first time in 82, they used them a bunch afterwards, including 86 so in 2007 for their 50th, it was a nod  to their past  so you could fill in a few more years

interested to see if they cover 77

22 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Think the batwings appeared for the first time in 82, they used them a bunch afterwards, including 86 so in 2007 for their 50th, it was a nod  to their past  so you could fill in a few more years

interested to see if they cover 77

I believe the wings were used in 1982-1985. I don't think wings were used in 1986. They were used in 1991 and 1992 but they more like a "pant-wing" combination.

Possibly? Doesn't quite sound like "As Time Goes By," though...duet between trumpet and mello, happening like immediately after the Blue Rondo snippet.

Then again, I'm also approximately infinitely more familiar with the original version of "As Time Goes By" than I am with the '97 version, so it's possible that I'm being thrown by virtue of it not being a guy with a piano.

"As Time Goes By" (1997) is definitely there, a bit after Blue Rondo. It's a fairly recent addition.

• Like 1