Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

23 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

True, but the sorts of changes I think it requires are a bit more extensive than what they've done in the past. To my recollection, anyway.

Yeah I doubt a full change in terms of pacing will occur which you seem to want, but I do think there will be some. Ink had pretty extensive musical changes from what I remember 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure how much the visual will change, but I don't remember the last time BD didn't change their closer musically towards the end of the season

I like the closer musically. Big chords and the soloist on top of that. I think the issue now is that the closer doesn't match visually and musically. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

I like the closer musically. Big chords and the soloist on top of that. I think the issue now is that the closer doesn't match visually and musically. 

Yeah I'm only replying to his views of the closer, I personally love it musically 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

So, I watched the video from Denver last night. Comments:

1) The thing I was talking about recognizing but not placing happens in between "Blue Rondo" and "As Time Goes By." Trumpet/mello or trumpet bari duet that, while not from "On the Waterfront," sounds similar in style...possibly a quote of "Children's Hour of Dream?"

(Side-note: I've been afk for the better part of the last week--did we find any more championship-show callbacks?)

2) The closer still doesn't work. Which annoys me, because the rest of the show does. Normally, BD can chop things up into something new, and it's woven together quite well (e.g. the closer from 2014). This one has way poorer musical pacing than other examples in years past (I'd add in the opener from last year here, for example). It's performed very well, and I think the visual side of it works well, but on the music design side...the way it's currently arranged, to my ear, doesn't meet the standard set by the rest of the show (which is magnificent).

Jeez. It will change. So stop being annoyed.

23 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

I think since they are trying to predict "the future" of drum corps in that section, it has been harder to put together. It's not clear right now if they see that as more theatrical/cirque-style or what exactly they are doing. Probably a few more weeks until that has more focused direction.

• Like 4

Just now, NakedEye said:

I think since they are trying to predict "the future" of drum corps in that section, it has been harder to put together. It's not clear right now if they see that as more theatrical/cirque-style or what exactly they are doing. Probably a few more weeks until that has more focused direction.

Great point! Never thought of that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Are you sure he's not doing the flugel solo? I don't think there is a mello solo, unless there is one right at the start of the show.

The mello solo is during the Bizet piece. The flugel soloist from last year is definitely marching BD this year. The mello soloist is his brother who stayed with The Academy. (I wanted to answer this yesterday but I had to register and that took time.)

• Like 3

Changes on Bumblebee.  There is an accented note at the end of each section passage.  I would assume its so the next section gets a better feel for where the time is, so the transition between sections is cleaner.

Edited by BoaDci
Im stupid.
  • Like 2