Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

38 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don't disagree. But like I said, it seems like they're mixing the sound for the press box. If you listen to the Flo broadcast from DATR (i think that was the one), the balance sounds fantastic and you can barely hear the synth at all. But in other recordings, it's overwhelming. 

BD's team isn't the type to overlook a detail like that so it seems like it's intentional

I saw them from far back and on the side at the Rose Bowl and the synth in that hit was oppressively loud.

5 hours ago, Minimaster said:

I saw them from far back and on the side at the Rose Bowl and the synth in that hit was oppressively loud.

Of course it was. Bass, particularly from sub-woofers, is omni-directional. Brass lines are not. The laws of acoustics demonstrate that, and the farther off-center (well, off-mix) you get, the more of a difference you will hear. All top corps mix for the box, not off-center.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Of course it was. Bass, particularly from sub-woofers, is omni-directional. Brass lines are not. The laws of acoustics demonstrate that, and the farther off-center (well, off-mix) you get, the more of a difference you will hear. All top corps mix for the box, not off-center.

And the high quality vid from the 50 in Denver is saw, you can't here the tubas, just bwaaaaa.

Why does this hornline even need this type of reinforcement?

• Like 1

i keep looking for something to ding BD on and a reason why they cant take home #18...i just cant find any. might be the most i've loved BD since 2011. I dont care that they aren't moving and playing much...that show is just amazingly excellent. with < 3 weeks left, its gonna take a big move by someone else to overtake them. 

JUst my unqualified opinion :)

• Like 4

Here at rehearsals. Too hot and humid.

posted from the DrumScorps app

3 hours ago, Minimaster said:

And the high quality vid from the 50 in Denver is saw, you can't here the tubas, just bwaaaaa.

Why does this hornline even need this type of reinforcement?

Two things:

1. "High quality vid". Where were the recording mics placed? Who did the mix?

2. Just because you hear low-end synth bass doesn't mean it's meant to replace or reinforce tuba sound. BD has a ridiculous tuba line that is *very* easy to hear, even on FLO's videos.

27 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Two things:

2. Just because you hear low-end synth bass doesn't mean it's meant to replace or reinforce tuba sound. BD has a ridiculous tuba line that is *very* easy to hear, even on FLO's videos.

As to Number 2 . . .  What then is the purpose in holding that TAILPIPE RUMBLE NOISE underneath the final measures?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kamarag said:

Two things:

They are blaring the low end synth there. I haven't been able to clearly hear the tubas on the part live or recording. Baris yes, but not tubas.

7 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

BD closing the gap on brass:whistle:

What? I thought Crown's brass was "untouchable" :whistle:

• Like 3