Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Wings are still there just not during rehearsal. Feedback was mostly visual, fixing intervals and dress lines. The music was addressed earlier in the day during sectionals.  The guard staff were quick to call out if things looked “messy”, “not pro”, or “embarrassing” but in a constructive way :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

did they take out the "butterflies" at the end?  never mind.  i see the bodies there.  i guess they just don't use the white wings at rehearsal?  I HOPE they are going to replace the bedsheets with color for finals?  like monarchs, maybe?

They recently changed to a new set that is more square in shape, so I'm hoping those are practice versions of something that will be either more colorful, or if they stick with white, more interesting in design. If they stay monotone, they could at least use a few different fabrics for added depth and sparkle (like a diamond). 

The plain sheet thing is not working for me. The set they had been using initially looked like they might have been pulled from 2007 storage. They had gold strips at the seams like those did. 

It has been a pretty bland ending for a show full of color, so I've thought something was coming all season. Maybe they will tie in with all those horn players running through the prop doorways. That sure looks like a setup for some sort of surprise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I'm really wanting to love all of this show but... It's kind of doing the same thing for me as 2007's show did. The first half is amazing and the second half is just meh for me. Hope that changes. 

The only thing that falls flat is the final chord of the closer, which will be added on or changed anyway.

21 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I wish they'd march more. 

People said that exact same thing few years back except it was "I wish BD would play a full tune instead of chopping musical arrangements". Now BD is giving us probably the most musical program on the field this year and people still aren't happy. The way I see it when BD starts "marching more" like you say they need to do, people will find something else to bash them on. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

• Like 6

The ending will change.  The wings they are using in the show are from 2007.

2 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I wish they'd march more. 

They march plenty.  There are very few corps that have the field coverage that BD has.  Their GE is because of field coverage, colors, and numerous body movements.  I keep hearing march more but there opening drill is beyond tough and the BD haters don't want to realize that.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MikeBD said:

They march plenty.  There are very few corps that have the field coverage that BD has.  Their GE is because of field coverage, colors, and numerous body movements.  I keep hearing march more but there opening drill is beyond tough and the BD haters don't want to realize that.

I think most comments are coming from the fact they don't move a lot in the final 3 minutes of the show. Trombones on the props, jazz section park and blow, high brass licks parked, etc. When they move, its pretty impressive and field coverage is high, but other than Bumblebee licks, they just don't play their meat on the move. I guess you could say they're probably just smarter than everyone else. Its a bit easier to clean when you are in smart positions staging wise and form wise. Other corps complaining are just working too hard, not writing to the sheets.

Same old-same old, BD outsmarts everyone..  

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 4

On 7/25/2017 at 9:13 PM, NakedEye said:

They recently changed to a new set that is more square in shape, so I'm hoping those are practice versions of something that will be either more colorful, or if they stick with white, more interesting in design. If they stay monotone, they could at least use a few different fabrics for added depth and sparkle (like a diamond). 

The plain sheet thing is not working for me. The set they had been using initially looked like they might have been pulled from 2007 storage. They had gold strips at the seams like those did. 

It has been a pretty bland ending for a show full of color, so I've thought something was coming all season. Maybe they will tie in with all those horn players running through the prop doorways. That sure looks like a setup for some sort of surprise. 

To see them spinning while marching at the same time is the visual highlight of the show, but it's so brief. It's gotta be hard to teach an elite group of color guard members that staying frozen on a dot for a two minute flag feature is worth the risk.