What's missing in today's DCI...

St. Kevin's Emeral Knights. Though 50 plus years have passed, still upset about the 1960 VFW Finals out-of-bounds penalty that probably cost them what was then the championship of note. Massachusetts still waiting. Oh, and add to that the Lancers in 1980. Boo hoo.

Suffer? I always liked retreat. Kinda cool saluting the winner as you paraded by. Made it unique. Now you only see it at finals. Shame.

We were the last ones off almost all the time (I know, poor us). I think I've burned a year of my life at parade rest. :sleeping:

• Like 1

i always thought that the best part of retreat was not being in it :)
sure most of that time for the members of the pit was spent on equipment repair or sometimes you drew the short straw and had to be the guy holding the flag, but going out for ice cream while the rest of the corps had to stay in uniform made up for all the times we were late to dinner on account of loading the truck.

what's missing for me as a fan, though, is Jazz. I don't want to sound like a 'back in the day'-er, I'm just saying that for a Good Year I like at least one Jazz or Blues or etc. show and one Broadway show in the upper echelon of productions (say top 15 or so).

• Like 1

I miss those Sunday afternoon shows that seemed to be all over New Jersey and New York. Most shows I participated in as performer, or fan, were "under the lights" on Saturdays. Those of us who couldn't get enough drum corps were able to hop in the car, drive a couple hours an see corps we didn't get a chance to see any other way. Sure, it was hot, very bright, and we were still tired from the night before. Maybe even after a 7 hour bus ride coming home for our own performance as the sun was coming up. Through it all . . . . Sunday afternoon shows were a bonus. We HAD to go !

Biggest of them all . . . . . . . The Dream at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City.

Oh, those heavy Cadet-style uniforms worn by St. Lucy's, Garfield, Boston, Skyliners, and many more. They 'dropped like flies" on Sunday afternoon !

And of course, there was "Boonton 'Nationals'" after Labor Day in NJ and CYO end of summer contests in Boston where college kids had to come back to compete.

I'm so glad to say that this is not gone like so many other traditions.

I took a 14 year-old trumpet player (and his parents - Dad played trumpet, too) to their first show, late season - after Allentown, and all three of them had those saucer-eyes and slack jaws when Crown hit their opener (and Blue Stars, and Madison, and PC!). They came away exhausted at the excitement.

The son is a prodigy and, in a couple of years, he and his parents will be immersed in the activity.

The "WOW!" is still there - take some newbies and watch them, you'll see!

This is a great example of how things have changed. You say this kid is a prodigy, but he won't march for a couple of years. At about that same age, Hunter Moss was marching lead soprano with Spirit of Atlanta for Jim Ott. That was 1978. When Hunter famously customized the Georgia solo in 1981... I believe he was a 17 year old high school student still. Who is marching lead trumpet in a top 3 horn line today at age 14?

This is a great example of how things have changed. You say this kid is a prodigy, but he won't march for a couple of years. At about that same age, Hunter Moss was marching lead soprano with Spirit of Atlanta for Jim Ott. That was 1978. When Hunter famously customized the Georgia solo in 1981... I believe he was a 17 year old high school student still. Who is marching lead trumpet in a top 3 horn line today at age 14?

I have seen quite a few 14-15 year olds march, but none of them were leads, I believe. The city school in my town has a ton of talented kids. Most of them go to march with CV, but I know for a fact that a senior there (his name is Alan Hester) has marched with Bloo for the past two years

Musical talent/maturity and tour talent/maturity are not identical.

Parents and staff need the wisdom of Solomon to keep these aspects in balance for the good of the performer and the good of the corps.

Edited by xandandl

11. Judge sheet "runners" and the "sheet bag" coming down on a wire from the press box (at some shows)

12. Score "easel" at the front right corner of the field (right near the tabulation table/tent) during prelims (at shows that had them) with handwritten corps names and scores with "dynamic" finalist postioning :satisfied:

First show I ever saw I was a runner; I was almost 10. Would run on to the field to collect "my" judge's sheet after each corps finished. I was i the feeder corps to a GSC corps, the Livingston Hilltoppers.

Amazingly, Chris Maher's corpsreps.com actually has the show results...

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1963328

Was also a runner at our next year's show...

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1964194

Edited by MikeD

Ahh Wildwood!!

Arrive at the field about 7:30(bus left Newark/Harrison at2:00)

Inspection

Birds taking from the marshes each the timing gun went off.

Packed stands(all four rows).

Well,at least for Sac.,Lucy's,and Garfield.

A senior contest!

Hang for a couple of hours at our sponsors motel.

Parade, boards, and some years we even stayed till Sunday.

George Starr

Woodsiders. 68-74

And of course, there was "Boonton 'Nationals'" after Labor Day in NJ ... where college kids had to come back to compete.

...run by the Harmony Senior corps, a parade corps that used band brass instruments and had a full glock section. They wore all-black West Point style unis (forshadowing!)