Chick Corea's "Spain" in 1960?

So I noticed on Corps Reps that the Cambridge Caballeros are listed as performing "Spain" by Chick Corea in 1960, 1961 (when they placed 4th at VFW Nationals), and 1962.

But Wikipedia indicates that Corea didn't debut that song until 1972.

So what were they actually playing in those three years?

There's a bunch of Cambridge Cabs on FB in both the 60's and New England DC threads ... they would most likely know ... Fleetwood's 61 VFW Nats album had their rep listed on the back cover ... not sure if they included the "by who"

:-)

"Spain" is definitely listed in most of their reps on the Internet ... I always enjoyed their exit of Adventures in Paradise ... just seemed so right ... and their slow turn at the Finish Line during the final chord was so soothing to end a show (at least, that's what I remember) ... they appeared in Bpt many times 60-62 ... was sorry to see them go in 62 along with Loretto and St. Catherine's Queensmen

"Cambridge Caballeros":

A GREAT MA junior corps, very much missed by me. :flower:

Saw them at the DCN Boston standstill show and Carnagie Hall in early 1962.

I believe their drill instructor was a Hawthorne guy, Hugo Evarelli, and their horn instructor was Al Saia, who also taught St Mary's Cardinals.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

It was Kevin Gamin's Drum Corps World review of this year's Massillon show that got me to notice this point. He mentions that Madison had previously played Jesus Christ Superstar in 1999, and I remembered attending the Massillon show that year, and thought I remembered seeing Madison then too. But Corps Reps says (1) that Scouts weren't there that year, and (2) that the show was in Canton not Massillon. As regards the first point, I think I had conflated memories of seeing Madison live in Massillon in 1998 (when they won) with seeing the JCS performance of 1999 on video. The second fact really surprised me, though. I know I was at the '99 show; I distinctly remember (A) being very impressed by Cavaliers' performance, (B) being surprised by how strong the Glassmen were; I hadn't seen them before; and (C ) being surprised that Bluecoats placed so low, as I had come to think of them as perpetual Finalists--and I enjoyed their '99 show.

That led me to seek out video of the Bluecoats' all-Chick Corea show, which I could not find, but also to see what other corps had played the same repertoire . . . and thus to the confusion about the Cambridge Caballeros (a corps I confess I'd never heard of before) and "Spain".

Thanks for the replies so far. I note that Corps Reps lists both "España Cañí" and "Spain" as part of the corps' repertoire in 1961 and 1962, so the latter might not be a reference to the former.

It was Kevin Gamin's Drum Corps World review of this year's Massillon show that got me to notice this point. He mentions that Madison had previously played Jesus Christ Superstar in 1999, and I remembered attending the Massillon show that year, and thought I remembered seeing Madison then too. But Corps Reps says (1) that Scouts weren't there that year, and (2) that the show was in Canton not Massillon. As regards the first point, I think I had conflated memories of seeing Madison live in Massillon in 1998 (when they won) with seeing the JCS performance of 1999 on video.

My files show that contest being held in Massillon in 99.

This was posted on FB by someone in the New England thread from the MA area:

"Spain" by Armando "Chick" Corea written by him when he was young, and later re-arranged to become his signature piece. He spent several years with the St. Rose Scarlet Lancer of Chelsea, Mass.

That's an interesting fact!