THE ACADEMY 2017

11 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Well now that stuff is beginning to come out about it, I guess I can be a little more specific about what I heard at the community performance. It doesn't feel like what you'd expect musically. Even the brighter ideas have a darkish vibe to them. To me, the only time there's any sort of cartoonish feel is the closer when I guess everything is being resolved story wise. 

Thanks for the update... its always good to hear from someone actually present at a Corps ensemble or community performance, than from people that like to pontificate from afar on something they've neither seen nor heard live ( and in some cases, not even from a video... haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

If a guard member doesn't get up on the podium and kick the conductor off and do some conducting Imma be dissapointed lol.  

The number of references and things they could throw in this are limitless.  I think the success of this show will lie in the balance of the cartoony/cute not being TOO obvious, but also not taking it too seriously to the point it's not as fun as it could be without going overboard.  

They NAILED that balance last year so I definitely trust in their ability to do it.  

Maybe.  (remember MT already pulled that bit in '09 -- not sure he'd repeat it).  

But there are certainly lots of opportoonities  for sly and not-so-sly references.  Should be fun to watch.  

It's gonna be a good season

Edited by PizzaJolly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PizzaJolly said:

https://youtu.be/S1dt_o9kDRc 

Here's a bit of the ballad from a camp a few weeks ago.

Thanks, but I'll hold off until during the season.

Bugs Bunnys greatest hits

A fitting word to describe the 2016 corps is "whimsy," which is hard to pull off. The show wasn't cheesy or forced. It told a simple story simply and grabbed the audience like few others did. The hilarities of VK and Bridgemen were the "kitchen sink" aspects of their what/how. By the time VK finished their 1992 show---which was very entertaining overkill--- their last idea was "the fat lady sings..." until they blasted us with Curt Gowdy's "crocodile" at Finals (with that crowd reaction, how they held the last few phrases together still stymies me). The Academy has been more subtle, letting the audience react in its own way ("xylobones," etc.). Imagine how VK would have handled that. Overkill. The possible irony: VK followed their most popular show ever ('92) with that Looney Toons mess of '93, and they never recovered. Hopefully, The Academy will retain its roots, remember how it got here and artistically move it forward! I can only guess at their higher level of recruitment.

• 3 weeks later...