Emergence of the Front Ensemble

I'm with you, but I have to ask... why is it accepted for the battery to "emote" like this? For those corps with 18" white plumes, it looks like a bunch of cockatoo's on crack with some of the over hype that goes on with the "monkey drumming" at times.

"...cockatoo's on crack..." Hilarious!

I'm going to use that a lot...

As I said, if they want to ####### head-bob for visual points, let them ####### head-bob.

But to claim there's a utility to it that somehow miraculously compensates for a MAXIMUM 8-frigging-hundredths of a second (in a typical FE spread) is simply folly.

Can't beat distance-math or sound-physics, no matter how much head-bobbing they do.

Maybe pulsing is like Dumbo's feather? A psychological way to make them feel like their timing is more in sync?

• Like 1

Maybe pulsing is like Dumbo's feather? A psychological way to make them feel like their timing is more in sync?

Yep, that's what I was trying to get at

internalizing pulse can take a lot of forms. garfield's just hung up on his own experiences. getting a member of an ensemble to play in time is all about physical motion. it can be large or small, but linking the body to pulse is really important. hell i have a tape where Gino C. swears he's abandoning drum majors because we didn't use one. it was a fun listen.

it can be large or small, but linking the body to pulse is really important.

Spot on. As a 20-year-music educator I concur. No I never taught marching arts of any kind but year after year, I was faced with the task of getting rooms full of kids to play together and in time. The more ways I could the utilize the body - the better. It's a feel thing. No question about this.

Edited by luv4corps

Spot on. As a 20-year-music educator I concur. No I never taught marching arts of any kind but year after year, I was faced with the task of getting rooms full of kids to play together and in time. The more ways I could the utilize the body - the better. It's a feel thing. No question about this.

We can talk the science all day long, but when you really get down to it...keeping the members together in time is just....plain...

9ffedbfc5c78f2f8c77bc9f081f78da4.jpg

.....MAGIC!!!!

• Like 1

We can talk the science all day long, but when you really get down to it...keeping the members together in time is just....plain...

9ffedbfc5c78f2f8c77bc9f081f78da4.jpg

.....MAGIC!!!!

Yup

Front Ensembles started emerging around 1982 when the Garfield Cadets used one of the first grounded front ensembles and my BD was part of that front ensemble