Differences/Similarities

Most of us marched some time ago and maybe some not to long ago. Most of us see what is happening today.

With that being said....what are the differences today? Similarities?

This isn't a RANT fest just a chance to see what's the same and what's different. Be Positive and Be Nice!

GO!!!

The most significant difference I see comes in the "theme" of a show. Back in the day, to the extent that a show had a theme, it was derived organically from the musical selections.

Now it seems to be the other say around. A theme or concept is envisioned, and music is selected to serve that concept.

Differences:

starting the show on the field as opposed to left end zone, then corner, then back sideline.

Grounded instruments

Growth of the front ensemble

Bugles / band instruments

Asymmetrical drill

Battery incorporated into drill

Dancing guard, and both M/F

Speed/Tempi

Dancing brass

Rudiment-based drum parts vs effect-based

Execution specific judging

Technology - from Kevlar to electronics

Bibbers vs. pants with suspenders

Marching shoes

Guard boots

Dancing drummers - the "squat & poop" and the "bug squish"

Nice buses

Food trailers

Similarities:

The "drum bug", or the "corps bug" Whatever force it was that drew us to the activity, still exists today.

Still takes a ton of practice

Tour is very much the same - get off the bus... "Where are we? When is laundry day?" Although, now they've had years of tour experience - so much more stable in schedules and routines with sleep, practice, perform. The whole bus ride, camaraderie, gym floors, perform for the crowds, is the same.

Working for perfection

Making friends for life

Great memories of fun and hardship, struggle and victory

Awesome staffs

Burn out - hey it happens

"Drum corps sucks!" "You coming back next year?" "Yeah, I'll be here."

Edited by c mor
  • Like 1

I know I've posted this before elsewhere... but here goes....

To me, the key similarity... the thing that has not changed since I first got involved with corps, and which held true for decades before that... is the "core experience"... if you will pardon the play on words here.

By that, I mean drum corps has been, and is still, all about corps members forming bonds and friendships that often last a lifetime.... members working hard to rehearse and polish their show, and doing the best they can to perform that show every time out... and fans coming out to cheer on the corps and the members of those corps.

As long as that doesn't change.... it's still drum corps to me. Regardless of various rules changes, types of instruments used, whether or not electronics are utilized, styles of shows, etc.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

"Drum corps sucks!" "You coming back next year?" "Yeah, I'll be here."

Heh... a friend of mine calls the months between the end of the drum corps season (August for DCI, Labor Day weekend for DCA, a fall concert here and there for some alumni corps) and the end of the calendar year "Quitting Season." :tongue:

So many people say "That's it... I'm done!!!".... then as the new year begins, many of those same folks are back at rehearsal and back in uniform. LOL

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm not the only one....

for me, these days it is fall band season, by the end I'm glad it is done. Then... spring starts turning to summer and the "itch" hits. Drum corps memories flood in and I just start feeling like I need to be out in the heat rehearsing. Guess it rivals baseball fans spring training madness.

In the old days, when we were looking for the show site at the numerous local shows that were held, we would drive around looking for stadium lights, and roll down the windows to listen for drums.

It is like that now when spring arrives. I can always hear the call of warm-ups in my head. I love standing in front of a line, getting pummeled by sound concussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, there are still hornlines out there that have the ability to rip your face off if you stand too close.