Favorite OTL (or Opening Music)

St. Andrews Bridgemen "March Triumphant" or was it "Triumphant March"? Anyway, circa 1971 and I REALLY liked it!

>>Faves "Off The Line":

1961: St Catherine's Queensmen "Dancing Serenade" & Blessed Sacraments "Vanished Army"

1963 & 1964: St Kevins Emerald Knights "Voice of the Guns".

Honorable mentions:

1961: Garfield Cadets "French National March".

1964: Racine Kilties: "Scotland the Brave"

1965: Chicago Royal Airs: "Ballyhoo March" & Chicago Cavaliers: "Bully"

Elphaba

WWW<<

Tsk ... Tsk Elphie ... no Ushers in The Mezzanine by Bpt PAL (65-66) or Granada by St. Raphael's (62)?

>>Faves "Off The Line":

1961: St Catherine's Queensmen "Dancing Serenade" & Blessed Sacraments "Vanished Army"

1963 & 1964: St Kevins Emerald Knights "Voice of the Guns".

Honorable mentions:

1961: Garfield Cadets "French National March".

1964: Racine Kilties: "Scotland the Brave"

1965: Chicago Royal Airs: "Ballyhoo March" & Chicago Cavaliers: "Bully"

Elphaba

WWW<<

Tsk ... Tsk Elphie ... no Ushers in The Mezzanine by Bpt PAL (65-66) or Granada by St. Raphael's (62)?

"Rivals OTL's":

I always thought that Bridgeport PAL Cadets best OTL was 1964's "Queen of Sheba", and St Raphael's best was 1967's "Man of LaMancha". Royal Lancers 1965-66 OTL by Hy Drietzer, "Mad World" was our best tune. I doubt anyone remembers the "Open Spit Valve " trick in the fanfare. :music:

I guess all they DO remember is the "Mouse" in "Downtown"..... :shutup:

Elphaba :flower:

"Rivals OTL's":

I always thought that Bridgeport PAL Cadets best OTL was 1964's "Queen of Sheba", and St Raphael's best was 1967's "Man of LaMancha". Royal Lancers 1965-66 OTL by Hy Drietzer, "Mad World" was our best tune. I doubt anyone remembers the "Open Spit Valve " trick in the fanfare. :music:

I guess all they DO remember is the "Mouse" in "Downtown"..... :shutup:

Elphaba :flower:

Cadets did the Gounod "Queen of Sheba" as their opener in 69/70, a John Sasso chart.

Sheba was penned for the PAL by none other than Rip Burnett from Archie ... Mancha for the Bucs by Genero ... 67 saw a multitude of corps play La Mancha in 67 (Boston, Skokie Vanguard, Santa Clara and more), which probably took away from the quality of Genero's arrangement ... good OTL for the Buc's ... PCP attempted to resurrect it circa 2008-9, but I don't think it ever hit the field ...

:-)

Scotland the Brave

NBC Chimes Festival

Festive Overture

Not fair...after that one, all others pale in comparison. :tounge2:

However..and assuming this refers to when there was a "line" to be "off" of...

Skyliners "Little Ol' New York" is one of my all-time faves.

1969 Blessed Sac "El Cid"

1971 Blue Rock "American Salute"

1971 Argonne Rebels "B&B Favorites"

All of the above are on my list, too.

That Skyliners' opener in 1971 and '72 probably tops my all-time list of "OTL" tunes. Especially the 1972 version with the Traffic Jam... which, FYI, was a Bobby Hoffman masterpiece. He was Sky's drill writer that season.

Blue Rock's 1971 "American Salute" opener also doubled as a color presentation.... I don't recall many other, if any other, corps using their opening tune as a color pre back then. Except, perhaps, the 1971 Garfield Cadets... whose entire show that season was basically a color presentation. :tongue:

Newer "not from the starting line" stuff... wow, so many from which to choose. Blue Devils' "Channel One Suite" and Bridgemen's "Thunder and Blazes" (the 1980 version) certainly would be high on my list. BD's opener from this year also would be there. The first few minutes of their show this year... especially that ominous opening statement from the trombones... absolutely floored me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...