Favorite OTL (or Opening Music)

Standrews- I am familiar with Puccini's "Aida" and the famous march associated with it. The St. Andrew's Bridgemen OTL in 1971 was not the same. If I recall, a former marching member from that era told me that the 1971 opener was an original composition for the corps. I have never heard any other musical group ever perform the piece I am referring to.

Anyone else out there who can chime in on this question?

If you listen to this '71 opener by the Bridgemen, and close your eyes, you will easily get the feeling of a victorious Roman Legion returning from battle to the Roman Forum. Definitely that kind of a flavor to the piece.

Standrews- I am familiar with Puccini's "Aida" and the famous march associated with it. The St. Andrew's Bridgemen OTL in 1971 was not the same. If I recall, a former marching member from that era told me that the 1971 opener was an original composition for the corps. I have never heard any other musical group ever perform the piece I am referring to.

Anyone else out there who can chime in on this question?

There has been confusion about the Bridgemen Triumphal March, which, as you said, is definitely NOT from Aida.

I have consulted my copy of the Encyclopedia of Band Music, and a few pieces known as Triumphal March appear, but none are the same as the Bridgemen tune.

I think it has to be an original number.

"Freak In, or "Out":

Larry Kerchner also wrote that fanfare for the 1969 Hawthorne Caballeros. He came on board that year to give a boost to the music program.

The number can be heard on the 1969 DCA Championship record.

Elphaba :flower:

St. Andrews- Good catch on the fact that it was Verdi who composed "Aida", and not Puccini. My bad. However, I'm still stumped as to where in the "Aida" score, the music in question is located. I might have to make a trek to the local Barnes & Nobles to secure a CD of "Aida", and listen carefully to the entire piece.

Regardless of the origin, that 1970-71 Opener was wonderful. Very bold...a strong piece of music. Didn't it have some nice triple-tounging near the end?

And then... there was that whole separate piece of just the sops....all double and triple tounging the entire piece!!! Ya don't see that anymore! I remember playing that sop piece for some fellow Brigadiers back in the early 2000's. They were astounded at how clean and precise it was.

• 4 weeks later...

Phantom's Stravinsky medley in 1978, Jeremiah from Garlfield in 1985, and T.O. from BD in 1982.

• 3 weeks later...

Overture to "Ruslan & Ludmila" - Crossmen, early 80's . I second BD's "TO" - LOVED that!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Slaughter on 10th Avenue, arranged first by Dreitzer for the Skyliners, thence for The Madison Scouts by Ray Baumgardt about 15 years later.

Both were iconic openers that emphatically stated, "HERE WE ARE!"

When I marched in St. Catherine's, playing Genero's original Dancing Serenade (thank you, Elphaba), my secret favorite opener was French National (Le Regiment Sembre et Meuse), penned for Garfield by the peerless Donald Angelica.

• Like 2